I played all Firaxis XCOM games on ironman, but gave up doing that with this one because it’s nor fit for that (yet?). So all those WTF moments below didn’t make me ragequit and deinstall the game, which I am proud of! It’s the real ironman attitude for Phoenix Point! Anyway, here are my top WTF moments from the last 60 or so hours:
(1) Jumping desperately right next to a invisible Siren that just mind controlled one of my guys and hid itself in a mist patch afterwards, exposing myself to enemy sniper fire in the process, only to find out THAT I CAN’T REVEAL IT! WTF!!! MY GUY STANDS RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT AND CAN TOUCH IT’S FACE BUT CAN’T BASH IT?!? After calming down I move a second guy right next to it with the same result! Instead of a ragequitting I finally did a rage burst with my heavy into the red exclamation mark with the help of a nearby assault. That did it. But again: WTF!
(2) Figuring out after countless hours that doing all those exploration events for resources is a WASTE OF TIME! I could have got all resources from my friendly New Jericho neighbourhood right at the doorstep of my base! WTF! It’s super cheap (just some sniper ammo), I can do it 5 times in a row without loosing valuable time and best of all: They are still my friends afterwards! Actually I am allied with them despite having killed more of their soldiers then the Pandorians ever will! But ok, I guess the game wants to teach you that becoming a opportunistic scumbag is the way to success in this world. I get it. Therefore my assault, who gathers most of the resources, just got a new nickname: ‘The Trump’…
(3) My first encounter with a Scylla that jumps over half the map, kills one of my dudes and gives birth to a mindfragger all in the same turn. WTF! Yes, I know, some of my guys are also half-gods, while others a mere mortals, who can only watch in awe when the titans are fighting. I am still undecided if I should call this progression system a stroke of a genius or a road into absurdity…
(4) My first encounter with an Arthron Umbra! Do I need to say more?
(5) Figuring out after some heavy calculations that the Triton poacher, that was just engulfed in flames by my flamethrower guy, will die from the 10 bleed and the 40 fire damage all over his body in his turn, only to see him live (he only got 10 bleed damage) and pump some viral ammo into my guy, making him panic for eternity! Guess that’s a bug with bleed damage overriding fire damage, but WTF!!!
(6) Having my vehicle getting stuck because it’s surrounded by worms!?! WTF VEHICLE AI! We are not members of the world wild life fund! Just drive over them! What? The AI routine for ramming was disabled? WHO DID THAT! Ok, take a route through that building at your side. What? You can’t breach the wall? You know that this dude there with his poser bionic torso can run through walls, right? And you are telling me your 10 tons of steel on wheels can’t??? WTF!
(7) A funny one: Watching the human AI run from one fire patch into another, loosing half of it’s health in the process, only to apply a medkit to another guy for 10+ health points! Way to go forward AI! I cheer to you! But seriously: Just a helpful tip for aspiring game designers from an amateur modder: IF actor_health <= .5 THEN FUNCTION(apply_medkit) ELSE FUNCTION(shot_the_f***_enemy) END.