Medals/Decorations - Strictly Cosmetic

A strictly cosmetic suggestion -
Adding a section on the soldier screen for medals, decorations, achievements, etc.

1. Speciality badge
    This would get fancier for each promotion or advancement in specific class.

2. Individual decorations
    For individual accomplishments.
    -10 kills gets a ribbon and each 10 kills after gets a device on that ribbon.
    -10 heals gets a ribbon and each 10 heals after gets a device on that ribbon.

• 20 successful missions.
  • Killing an alien from 300 yards.
  • Sole survivor from a successful mission
  1. Unit medals
    For total roster accomplishments
  • Killing 100 aliens
  • Completing 100 missions
  • First successful Boss kill

note - Unit medals only apply to active roster members when accomplished. New recruits don’t get a unit medal if they join after the accomplishment.

2 Likes

A medal/citation system would be in my wishlist for soldier customisation when the game goes live, so I hope something like this makes the cut.

Although I don’t really mind if they’re cosmetic, if pressed, I’d want them to give a bit of a bonus. Why waste development time on something so minor if there’s no in game benefit, after all. It’s not like an extra point of Will or a +1% accuracy bonus is going to be the pivotal element of your campaign.

1 Like

[quote=“Masheen, post:2, topic:102”]Although I don’t really mind if they’re cosmetic, if pressed, I’d want them to give a bit of a bonus. Why waste development time on something so minor if there’s no in game benefit, after all.
[/quote]

A minor leadership bonus or other similar buff to represent the reassuring presence of a bona fide decorated hero isn’t entirely illogical so I can go with that.

1 Like

Apocalypse had medals and they were completely aesthetic. Personally I love the idea of medals but I don’t think they should give any bonuses. Your bonuses come from what you did on those missions which would in turn improve your stats. The medals are simply documentation of that. My star on my occupational badge doesn’t make me better at my job, I got the star because I met certain requirements and thus viewed as better. My ribbon rack itself doesn’t make me better, but over time all the things that I did to get all those medals/ribbons made me better.

So for me the action that earned the ribbon is what gives the improvement while the ribbon/medal/occupational badge is merely documentation of oone’s career. You might get a small leadership bonus from it (“oh sheet that guy has a large rack, he must have a clue” vs “pfft look at that rack, he clearly doesn’t know what he’s talking about”) but I don’t even think that should be added to the system.

Medals giving a % bonus to willpower makes sense to me - a bonus to accuracy doesn’t so much.

In the Piratez mod for OpenXcom your Hands earn medals in this way, it’s merely cosmetis, but it’s very cool when you look at their carrers and see all the things each girl has done.
In this sense obtaining medals is like obtaining archievements in a game, I liked it.

And yet if you apply the “large rack” argument to Piratez crew, the sentence will feel very different.

yes it wuold be a great addition!