I’ve enjoyed playing the game so far - ~80 hours logged according to Steam - but I have some suggestions for improvement:
Gamepad controls should be more intuitive. I can’t really even navigate parts of the UI with just a controller - e.g. Video Settings. It could all use some polish:
- NOTE: I use an Xbox Series controller.
- Having to switch between left joystick, right joystick, and D-Pad for menu/UI elements doesn’t feel right sometimes.
- Sometimes - I’ve noticed prior to starting a mission for instance - the soldier preparation screen will make your left joystick “stuck in place”. The only way to free it is to swing the right joystick around for a bit. Otherwise you won’t be able to do anything, other than navigate back using B.
- When you go to the highest vertical/level - using right joystick - during a mission, the camera will tug towards your soldiers. This makes it so you can’t pan around the whole map.
- Hover-over for tool-tips doesn’t work.
- When I’m looking at a haven - because it has a recruit available - I have to press down on the left joystick even though the Recruit Soldier button is to the right of the information icon.
- Scrolling through lists - e.g. equipment list in the Manufacturing tab of the Phoenix Point base - seems broken. When you reach the bottom of the list it goes back to the middle instead of either stopping or wrapping back to the top.
- Sometimes - during missions - the game won’t let me move my cursor to the edge of the map.
- Can’t hit the Repair Facility button on the Vehicle Bay “square” in the base.
- “Drag here to manufacture” and “Drag here to scrap” are not available in the Personnel tab when using a controller and selecting an item.
- The “You don’t have enough Living Quarters space in your bases to recruit this soldier.” message does not appear because you need to hover over for it to appear.
Certain things are not conveyed well:
- It took quite a while for me to understand the “shot accuracy” UI. The shade of white on red is sometimes not a great indicator of damage/accuracy - especially when you consider the wide range of color correctness across user screens.
- The rest of the magazine/clip is used when reloading.
- How does stealth work? When does stealth break? Is it when I get too close to an enemy? Or is it when I attack? Can I gain stealth back? If so, how? A tutorial of some sort would be useful.
- It wasn’t until ~40 hours into the game that I realized I can intercept enemy air craft. As far as I can remember, the game never mentioned this to me.
- Mission Difficulty seems to be hit-or-miss sometimes in terms of actual difficulty.
- Reaching white highlighted areas in missions grants will power to the squad. As far as I can remember, the game never mentioned this to me.
- Is there a way to rotate the camera using the controller right joystick that isn’t just 90 degrees left/right?
- You need - for example - heavy body armor to equip a mounted weapon. I don’t remember this ever being explained. I had to figure it out through complete trial-and-error.
- Other various UI elements.
Minor bug: When reloading a save, some abilities get marked as “cannot be used again this turn”.
The video settings configuration seems to sync with Steam Cloud. Although this may seem convenient, it causes issues when using separate devices - e.g. Steam Deck. Different devices have different input (smaller vs. larger screen) and capabilities (e.g. CPU, GPU, memory, etc.), but the most recently-used device dictates what settings are used.
Feature request: There should be a confirmation prior to ending the turn. It’s quite easy to accidentally end your turn without meaning to do so.
Feature request: It would be nice to have a flag/option to reset the cursor to the current soldier’s position when switching between soldier’s during missions.
Overall, I’m really enjoying the game