Initial feedback

Two initial errors in the 'pedia.
In Skill and Experience: “…increasing teh core stats…”
In Shred Damage: “Dhred damage”

No apparent way to rebind keys. After ensuring graphics settings are at max, this is the first thing I go to change before I start playing. Not finding a way to change keys or even the behaviour of the mouse zoom (pulling back on the mouse zooms in, which is counter to how I would like it).

Invasive message notifying of end of turn.
End Turn button already exists. If we’re out of action points, then it could flash if you want to notify the user. The message is a little obnoxious. Oh… is it part of the tutorial? In that case, being able to turn it off by turning off the tutorial is ok.

Hitting escape during enemy turn does nothing.
When I hit escape, I expect the game to stop. I have a wife and two small children. When I have to go, I have to go and I don’t want to have to ctrl-alt-del just so I can shut my computer down.

Game told me my sniper would have line of sight if I moved to a specific square. When I did, all the enemy icons were grey and it put me into free aim. I couldn’t see an enemy using free aim.

I was issuing orders to a soldier and was called away from the PC. I hit escape and dealt with the issue. When I came back the mouse had moved the view to the far top-left of the map. I clicked the soldier portrait to get back to where I was and it would only enter the info screen.
To center the view, I had to select a different portrait (jumping to that soldier), then click the one I wanted.

Is there a way to turn off the camera taking control?
Like, can I issue orders to a soldier and have the camera stay put while the soldier runs off?
Can I have it so that when I finish moving a soldier, it doesn’t shoot off to some other soldier that it thinks I should move next?

I absolutely loved the new XCom reboots, but they suffered badly from consolitis (controls designed for console). I played that game to death a few months at a time, rage-quitting for months at a time because of the controls, then coming back to it because I really wanted to play it.
This game is in a weird place for me right now because there’s no key rebinding, the camera does it’s own thing, and the end of turn splash message feels obnoxious.
It somehow feels more PC orientated than new XCom, but as all the console controls are baked into the help screens and there’s no rebinding, it also feels more console than new XCom.

Edit:
Realised this all seems super negative.
Love the shooting. Feels great.
I’m only early stages, but that new squidly alien adds cool new mechanics to the game. Even at this early stage, the enemy variety is already better than just-more-armour-and-health.
I’m getting a lot of haven interaction. Adds a lot of flavour.
I already knew I was going to like the game, so I’m not surprised that I like the game. It has a great feel and I’m looking forward to seeing where my playthrough takes me.

1 Like

My initial feedback is… despite getting the game to crash within about 15 minutes (do NOT press the Start button on your keyboard on Windows 10!) and needing to start a new game, I am enjoying my first play through since an old backer build a lot. The game has improved immensely since I last took a look at it and it’s great fun to play. Good job to the team behind this and Julian Gollop, game designer extraordinaire, who I have followed since the 80s and Chaos!

1 Like

crabman machinegun should be lesser accurate on the mid long distance, that weapon look like have no recoil at all. And less armor shred capacity.
Chiron mortars could spread a little instead of snipe from above oneshotting anyone.
Not happen but willpower could provide chance to resist to mind affecting illness.
And armors, where are they? I have only weapons improvement, pandorans improve their armor too.
Flamers and fire granade should put into panic human being.
Scarab should always wreck thing on his path and sometimes it get blocked by a metal net,really?
A shortcut on the goblal map to reach the phoenix bases could be useful.
sometimes cover feel like useless,being shot by an entire salvo and the pandoran shoot directly in front of the full cover seems a bit unrealiable.
disabling the head of enemy that use psychic ability should prevent it to use them.
Since when you get ambushed at the last turn if u clear all the enemy the mission should end with no need to reach the extraction zone.
Phoenix Project should be able to recruit staff on their own.

1 Like

[quote=“Draven, post:1, topic:5616”]
Invasive message notifying of end of turn.
End Turn button already exists. If we’re out of action points, then it could flash if you want to notify the user. The message is a little obnoxious. Oh… is it part of the tutorial? In that case, being able to turn it off by turning off the tutorial is ok.

Game told me my sniper would have line of sight if I moved to a specific square. When I did, all the enemy icons were grey and it put me into free aim. I couldn’t see an enemy using free aim.[/quote]

Yeah I’ve seen both of these … I mean … there are a FEW times where there’s something else I want to do at the end of combat (or the game glitches when a character is exiting and gets stuck on that exited character’s location, so I have to manually click ‘end turn’) … but for the most part, it breaks the flow of combat.

And the aiming one is just weird … I’ve also had situations where it looks, when I free look, that I have a clear shot … but it hits something inbetween … or some local object, like a leaf or something, blocks my (as in the player’s) line of sight, so I can’t really see what I’m targeting.