Game play is far too difficult and game isnt fun

I think something went wrong with this new patch…

Here is my story, this happens every game I have played with the new patch installed.

Early in the game, things go appear to be going really well… I’m winning almost every battle, and I’m feeling really good… then bam… I can’t win a battle. Not a Haven defense, not Panda base raid, nothing…I’m totally stuck, I don’t see a way out of it.

When I say I can’t win a battle, I mean I REALLY can’t win a single battle… no amount of reloading (I absolutely hate doing that) helps. The battles are totally no win situations.

Previous patches… I had no such problems. no problems defeating Guardian sites, I never finished a game, but I just didn’t play enough.

Today, its just not fun to play. Its not fun to keep replaying the same battle, over and over again, then giving up.

Here is an example battle. Previous to this battle no issues at all. difficult battles… some times I loose a trooper, but I’m always able to win the battle.

Battle starts -
turn one… nothing appears… I set everyone for overwatch (because I know what’s going to happen)… several sirens show up, and mind control everyone… game over… turn 2 or 3… replayed that battle 3 or 4 times, and its just an instant loss… so reload the game and just don’t enter the battle…the Haven falls… the next haven defense, several Tar babies shows up… they wipe out everyone… nothing I can do to stop it, replay it 3 or 4 times… Nope… its an instant loss battle. So I avoid that battle also… the game goes very bad… I just start a new game…

This has happened every game with the new patch… (playing veteran level)

Its not fun…

1 Like

thats happen when you wait on their move… you need to find nearest Syren and kill it in your turn… or at least disable its head… If you play passively, you lose. Never rely on Overwatch. Its unreliable, and will never achieve what you want anyway… you need to manually aim for the dead to disable them.

2 Likes

Try an easier level first. I does appear to be more difficult since the 1.7 version though. I have completed the game on the legend level in the past. I’m currently playing on veteran because it seems more difficult. But that’s okay right?

1 Like

PP is very easy with “advanced tactics”, also on Legendary. But that doesn’t mean that it’s your own fault who wants to play the game easily with just his basics. There are also players who don’t have the time or inclination to delve deeply into the tactical possibilities of PP. For such players, EASY Difficulty should also be feasible.

Personally, I only have a real reason to complain if EASY Difficulty is far too frustrating.

1 Like

jj482b,

Thank you for your comment, but they are totally unhelpful. I really do know how to play the game, I normally am able to deal with Syrens. Your comments are part of the frustration apparently you don’t understand what I’m saying.

just so you know… I played a new battle… same results… different layout, exactly the same results. This morning I played it 3 or 4 times… exactly the same. there isn’t a way for me to win any of these battles.

It doesn’t matter what I do, . I can play the same battle 10 - 20 times… know exactly where the enemy is, ect… it ends EXACTLY the same each time, I’m all dead… reminds me of Ground hog day… exactly like the move…

Ground hog day game… is horrible.

Walan,

thank you for your comments, just like the other one, totally useless… apparently you are missing the point. The new patch, has made the game unplayable. and any attempt to express why, ends up with comments such as yours.

I have almost completed the game several times prior to this patch… I know how to play, I beat guardian sites my first try, when I first encountered them.

This new patch has something wrong with it.

It does feel that the game is more punishing. I’m taking more damage, but I still find it possible to win missions with the right squad mix and tactics.

1 Like

mcarver2000,

How far have you got with the new patch? did you restart a new game with the new patch installed? Have you taken a Guardian site yet? I’m reaching the point where I’m almost ready to take a Guardian site, but I haven’t yet built a archeology base item yet.

Thinking carefully about this, I have a few observations… from previous patches.

in contrast to other patches, and previous battles in the same game… when I reach the wall… I see the following.

Enemy seems to be using cover more, I can’t seem to directly shoot them nearly as often. I had to use over watch more. they don’t seem to stand in the open nearly as much as they did.

Enemy seems to have more HP (or I’m doing less damage?). At the point I can’t win battles anymore, its taking what seems like twice, or more, as many hits to kill an enemy, every enemy.

Its almost impossible to disable the head of a Siren now… (previous battles I had no issues at all shooting their heads, breaking their mind control, but this battle, it doesn’t work, I kill them before I disable their head… btw… I have a augmented head guy, that can break neural disrupt them got him just for Sirens… but he almost never lives long enough to, they target him first, killing my only hope of breaking Siren’s mind control… (they never did that before).

More Tar babies… and more Siren’s, and more of everything. Please keep in mind… this is the same game I was have 0 problems with… and doesn’t matter if I restart a new game… it reaches the same point… every time.

Hey @pacman223, if F12 is working for you, you should report it. If not, try creating a new topic on the bug report forums or on canny. Here in the middle of an enormous old topic your messages will probably not be seen by Snapshot employees.

About the problem though, I’m not playing so I cannot comment much, but I got your point. In past patched there were some missions (like the NJ 50% one) that could be unwinnable if you went too early for it. However this is not the case anymore and you’re seeing this trend in many missions. I could suggest different tactics like using a priest giving immunity to mind control for nearby soldiers, but sirens are not the only problem.

Could you tell us which game date it is when you face this, and also an example of all enemies inside one of those impossible missions? This way it’ll become clearer for everyone if it’s a bug or not.

Edit: this latest Arkham patch has introduced so many new bugs. I believe you’re probably just facing one, maybe they tuned things wrongly. Also, in which patch did you start this campaign in?

Sectoid,

I will do what you suggest, sorry didn’t want to start a new topic when one was already available.

I’m running Arkham 1.8 EGS it patched again this morning, but I don’t notice any change in patch number.

Also… I started my new games after the Arkham patch, I thought I would start fresh after the new patch.

Great, that removes some of the possible problems. It’s best to create a new topic making clear that the problem appeared after the Arkham patch.

I started a new campaign with the Arkham release. I am playing on Veteran level and have reached late March game time. I haven’t started any of the LotA stuff, though I did trigger the Mattock mission. In other playthroughs I’ve learned that the LotA stuff needs to wait until I’m pretty well flushed powerful weapons and level 6-7 soldiers.

I’m waiting until I can get research for laser weapons before I launch into the LotA missions. I also need to get NJ Dante before I unleash the Tar Baby monsters…

So I had posted a similar viewpoint a few weeks ago with the hope that someone at Snapshot might have time to give some explanation.

But as you can see, no response. I have only recently started a new playthrough and haven’t so far experienced to same problem, But I suspect that the AI has been improved. It certainly seems more capable. I’m currently playing on Veteran level, and wonder if the designers just wanted to make the difficulty levels more pronounced.

1 Like

Is there a way to delay tar pandorans? For me in necronomicon they appeared even though I didn’t do any LotA site. I did do the first few missions though. I find them not so much problematic, I try to disable them instead of killing.

1 Like

I have asked the thread to be locked before. Don’t see that happening, and the title alone cannot be doing PP any good in reviews

Love everything about this game, I have no complaints maybe this game just ins’t your cup of tea?

I liked the game 4 months ago more too.

1 Like

There is no need for censorship.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: Censorship? How about it’s non constructive criticism from a person that admitted he doesn’t even play the game?
In short it’s Misleading Information & SPAM. That can and should be censored.

Love the game, i have days of real time spent into it. Can’t get enough of it, its depth and creativity, the sky is the limit with this game. Hang in there folks, they will iron it out. Till then play it test it, F12 reports, and the devos will have it all finished up.
Gladly I’ll pay the price over again for full game. Thanks Snapshot for making one hell of a game, keep it up!

1 Like