Game Development and Current Circumstances

With the current corona circumstances we find ourselves, I hope that all the devs are keeping safe from the virus.

Weird to be playing a game about a worldwide outbreak of a virus, and then along comes a real one.

Should we expect any delays in development due to corona / COVID19?

2 Likes

It is possible that this will have some impact on development times, but it is difficult to be sure to what extent at this stage.

The team are taking precautions with some working remotely. Development is still continuing however.

4 Likes

Good to hear. Live long and prosper.

2 Likes

Good luck to you all Kevin - be careful out there :mask:

1 Like

Even if they catch virus then most probably they will survive (unless some of the devs have some chronic disease). Pandoravirus seems to be worse. :wink:

While this is true, many of us have elderly or vulnerable relatives. It is important that we all self-isolate as much as is possible to reduce the spread of the virus.

3 Likes

Been doing that myself since Tuesday of last week. Best thing is to find a good long game to play through, to keep you occupied and ride this thing out.

Better that, than going outside, getting the virus and giving it to others.

1 Like

Good to know. Keep it up. :wink:

Take care of yourselves - health is more important than anything.

2 Likes

Ok. Situation got worse than I think it would. Yesterday died someone who I had opportunity to met many years ago. He was healthy strong guy under 40 years old. He was diagnosed 16 days earlier. Maybe our healthcare is not the best, but to not rescue such healthy man? That caused my shivers went down my back. That is crazy. Stay safe everyone!

Unfortunately, while someone under 70 and with no underlying health conditions is at less risk, it still doesn’t mean that you’re safe. I think so far I am aware of a 14 year old, an 18 year old boy and a 21 year old woman, all with no underlying health conditions having passed.

It is a scary thought, but it is going to get worse before it gets better.

It’s strange to see how different parts of the world all handle the situation in a different way - but we are all in this together.

2 Likes

Over here in Australia, the government has been closing down specific types of businesses related to specific activities, and limited gatherings to 2 people max in public. If everyone just stayed inside for 2 weeks this would be all over in no time.

It would lessen the effect of the disease, but don’t underestimate its ability to bounce back.
The history of pandemics is that once they take hold, they recur in regular cycles for at least a generation after the first wave. The only major pandemic in history that didn’t do this is the Flu Pandemic of 1918, and that’s because Flu is an endemic disease anyway.

That said: we should consider ourselves lucky. By this point in the history of most pandemics, the death toll is in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. It sounds bizarre, but we are fortunate that Coronavirus is so mild in comparison to most killer diseases. Any death is sad, but a 1% death rate is a hell of a lot better than a 30% death rate - especially in today’s overcrowded world.

But we shouldn’t be complacent. Stay safe people - and be careful out there.

1 Like

It’s always unnerving when someone you know dies unexpectedly, but the risks for the under 40-50’s are really low, in the order of 0.4%, dropping to 0.2% for those under 40.

But statistics provide scant consolation for the loss of a relative, friend or acquaintance.