Exertion preview

I would test it for a 33% TU recovery. 50% basically grants you a free get-out-of-jail-card, and that seems a bit much.

1 Like

I’m thinking that 50% is quite ok if it only takes at least 3 WP and is limited to 1 or 2 use(s) per turn. Or maybe 25% which will take 2 WP per use and would have limit of 2 uses per turn?

1 Like

My main use of Exertion is to take me away of bad decisions. I moved somewhere where ten crabmen are pointing their machineguns at me? Why, Exertion just moves me away from that. Missed a surefire hit? Allow me to shoot again and take care of the issue. 50% exertion is enough to waste all TU and run away.

But living with bad decisions is a main design of both XCom and Phoenix Point. So, I would keep the WP cost, but reduce to 33%. If we waste all the TUs, 33% doesn’t allow for a second shot from the main weapon, or to run too far away.

1 Like

I would introduce penalty on the following turn. Let’s say (TU restored + 25% of max TU). It makes sense, the poor guy is exhausted and needs to rest a bit, because he went kinda overboard.

1 Like

So if Exertion would restore 50% of TU then on next turn he would have only 25% of TU to use? I’m not sure if it is not too big penalty. They are trained to act like that. And there is Willpower cost. But overall nice idea. :slight_smile: Maybe i would change that sign. So available_TU = max_TU - (TU_restored-25% TU). So he would have 75% of max TU on next turn. Or if Exertion can be used 2 or more times then available_TU = max_TU - TU_restored/2.

1 Like

I’ll tell you how I would make Exertion. Set it back to 25% AP, and drop the will cost to 2. The reason being that I thought it was meant to be a multi-use ability from the start.

For example, you want your Assault to move after all his actions, change his equipment, or get something out of a crate. So you use Exertion. 25% of his AP is just enough to do that.

If you want him to shoot, that takes 50%, so you use Exertion again. I’ll repeat that: You use Exertion twice.

That brings you up to 50% AP, which lets you take more complex actions like shooting your gun, Overwatching, or throwing a grenade. The willpower cost for back-to-back Exertions is 4, just one over the 3 it is now. With the willpower Assaults currently have, that’d let you do a double-exertion twice to get a free shot. If your Assault scored a kill he gets 2 Willpower back, and will be able to do another Exertion. But since the AP boost is capped at 25% he can’t just shoot, kill, Exertion, shoot, kill, repeat.

1 Like

Please do not only consider Extertion as an Assault Skill, making it revocer only 25% AP will end up being nearly useless for Heavys (you might need 3 uses for an extra shot).
Also reducing the cost to 2 would end up in being infinite as long as there are Aliens to kill (2 WP per kill).
Restore 50% AP is still ok, 5 WP or maybe 4 will be ok. If you don’t kill you can’t spam it like crazy. There are still other very strong skills, no need to nerf anything too much. :wink:

@samshell
My main use for Exertion before the patch today was to get a killing spree, mainly in the first turn to make safe room for my soldiers.

I like the 5 WP for Exertion, it’s a really powerful ability, and makes sense to be extra expensive to use. With 3WP, a bit of luck could get you destroying a bunch of aliens in a row.

Since Exertion’s willpower cost is so important, we can also just have its cost go up if it’s used concurrently in the same turn. So if it costs 3 for one use, it can cost 5 to use it again, and 5 again per exertion after that. This is to clamp down a bit on the bullgong killing sprees Assaults can currently pull, where, since they get 2 willpower back per kill, they can chain Exertion with a Shotgun in the midst of enemies for only 1 willpower lost per kill.