BB5: Suggestions

For me seeing how much of a target is inside is more than enough; carapace: i’m sure to hit with all bullets, grenade arm, harder, but reasonably sure to put a couple bullet inside.

And, I’m happy for you if you can effectively work with that. :slight_smile:

I can’t work with that visual information, I find it too imprecise, and I’m frustrated by it every time I try to play the game. That’s why I’m asking to see the percentage, or rather have it available as something that I could turn on via a menu setting, and that nobody else who didn’t want to see it would ever have to look at if they preferred not to.

For anyone who wants to just use the visual information that is already presented, that menu option would have no impact on their own game playing experience, they could just leave things as is. However for anyone who prefers numerical information, they would be able to select that additional indicator.

Can you imagine the amount of calculation required to give you this percentage ?

The easiest way I can see is tracing 100 lines (sampling) from you to the target and then check for collision.

It may see simple when you look at the target as a human. Much more difficult for the computer.

Unless they have a way with the finished image of saying pixel per pixel if it belongs to the creature (if unity gives this info).

I think you do. You want for the shooting mechanic to be calculated in a different way then it is.

The game doesn’t make attack rolls against enemies you are aiming at: there is mathematical system which distributes shots within indicated cone of fire. After that bullets hit whatever they hit - be it enemy, cover or friendly. This system interacts with another system - modular enemies: different body parts have different size and armor, and again the system in question lets you gouge which parts to prioritize.

UI in place expresses well actual mechanics of the game.

Still what you want is for the game to make a roll against enemy and give you a simple number based on which you can make up your decision. If it were indeed possible to express PP system via simple percentage roll, then its current system would be unnecessarly complex as percentage is easier to understand and easier to calculate. Therefore either:

1. PP system is unnecessarly overcomplicated and should be simplified
  2. Percentage would inaccuratly communicate information about mechanics in place and therefore would be misleading.

I assume you are referring to estimated damage indicator. Considering how unhelpful and innacurate it is, doesn’t it prove my point? That confining existing system within simple UI is unhelpful?

You are claiming that PP already has information you want, and simply hides it. If that is the case, then yes, I don’t see why this information should be concealed to the player. However, I am afraid that to give you want you want and not be a fake (not give you a false or misleading percentage number) the way shooting works in PP would have to be altered. There are just too many factors in play.

Nope, I don’t want a different shooting mechanic, and I haven’t asked for that. I am 100% categorically fine with the shooting mechanic.

I just want a percentage as an addition to the visual indicator, I have consistently asked for (only) that throughout the thread.

I believe it does hold that information, as you say I believe it’s being used to display the estimated damage indicator, that’s all I’m asking to see.

I’d also prefer if that estimated damage indicator were numerical, as you’re right that the visual bar is useless, but let’s not go there.

From what I understand, the game is constantly calculating a simulation of the shot from the position that you’re aiming from. (That’s how the estimated damage indicator can be displayed). When you as a player choose to fire, that is the shot that actually happens.

And thinking about it, not just that, the game must be considering shots from other locations too, as it is able to show you which positions on the map will give you line of sight prior to your movement.

How it actually simulates the shot I don’t know.

Pixel by pixel makes sense to me for the accuracy indicator that I’m asking for, how many of the pixels within the target reticule are filled with creature, and how many aren’t? - It may well be done totally differently however.

That is true guys and she is right. Game is constantly recalculating possible damage. But there is some flaw in this calculation @SpiteAndMalice. Often I have found that it more likely displays maximum possible damage not the most probable.

Btw you probably don’t want this:

And I will tell you why (this is quite important so all of you guys read and understand visualization of aiming circles). Now comes to light my artistic soul…

Here is what game probably see while aiming at the opponent on the above picture. Red dots are possible hits with some predefined number of projected bullets. You need to count red dots. How many of them are on enemy and divide it by number all of predefined projected bullets. Question is how will you threat all bullets that fall outside of him or fall on cover before him if cover is easily destructible or on his weapon. With this proportion you can have percentage of hit. Simple counting of how much of enemy is filling the circles is not a good measure, because spaces around that neutral soldier are with really low chance of hitting.

As you see on this edited picture most of dots fall on enemy (along with his weapon) so chance for a hit is really high. Most of bullets will land near red circle with smallest chances to land in center and in the outer blue ring. Bell curve is stretched from center to the edge of aiming circle. That is why I have written:

But there is still chance that those bullets will go off, so question is @SpiteAndMalice if giving you here 85% chance to hit wouldn’t be misleading?

1 Like

Okay, assuming that that’s what the AI is doing for a minute:

What’s going to count those red dots the quickest, a human or the AI? I certainly ain’t going to sit here doing it for every shot, especially not when the AI does already and could just tell me the number.

You asked me this previously, and I already said that my preference would be to just count the percentage of the enemy that is visible. (I can work out that there’ll be a chance that subsequent bullets might go through that destructible cover, just as you can when you look at the visual representation and see that part of the enemy isn’t visible).

No more so than an image that fills 85% of the reticule would be, which you could still make use of, in isolation, if you didn’t want to see the percentage. Your game play experience wouldn’t be altered at all with this change if it were a menu option, however other people’s might be better.

1 Like

Computers are all maths so getting a percentage chance to hit, or displaying the percentage chance of how many bullets will hit, would not be that difficult in implement.

As has been suggested, all that data and calculations are going on in the background anyway.

The human brain is complex and where as probably most of us are happy with interpreting the visual style into something meaningful, there are also many like @SpiteAndMalice who cannot.

I like the realism of the visual style (they are humans, not computers) but the option would be good. I doubt it’s high on the devs priorities though so it may have to be a mod.

2 Likes