Backer Build 5 and Release Date Update

Rather it right, than ‘on time’.

I hopped onto the Phoenix Point bandwagon early when I joined in the crowdfunding campaign for it.
My reason for doing so was the fact that after 26 years of gaming on a computer, the original XCOM
remains one of the very few games which imparted such a wonderful feeling of “fun” upon me in all that time and did so for the entire “campaign”.
Perhaps it is just the fact that I’m old and know now that things don’t always go as I wish or expect and thus find the fact that the fact that the release date has been pushed out a further three months, while dissapointing, is not a major (or even minor) problem in my life.
So, put my name on the “I’m glad they decided to extend the release date three months so -they- can put out a final product they are pleased with and -I- can play a game that is not buggy/broken in some respects upon the first time I begin playing.”

Regards, Odd

Take your time, but do the job

Keep Calm and Carry On. :v:

Looking forward to what you have in September. :wink:

So I assume this update to BB5 will come through the EGS? Thanks

yes, BB5 will be through the EGS

will there be Russian language in Backer Build 5 from September 3 ?

I haven’t seen any info about localizations to be included in BB5. @Kings_Rook maybe you know something about it? :slight_smile:

Localisation isn’t planned until the initial release, one all of the text has been added.

thanks for the reply.Understood

I do now, now that UV has answered

thank you.

May the Exalted be with UV

No problemo. I’m glad that someone from the SG answer such questions. :slight_smile:

I pre-ordered steam. I understand it’s a small team, but it’s no excuse for successive delays. Quality is not just the final product, it’s the buying experience, deadlines, upgrades. Anyway, although I’m frustrated with the delays, my last vote of confidence in the developer remains.

We are fully committed to releasing the best game we can, and don’t want to rush a half-finished product out of the door. Our development time for Phoenix Point, even with the delays, is still quite a short amount of time. XCOM took over 5 years to develop.

We also don’t want to crunch our developers as that causes them to suffer along with the quality of the game.

We thank you for your patience.

3 Likes

Delays are no surprise to me; therefore, I’m fine with this. Everyone who feels frustrated by this should learn to lower your expectations about deadlines being met (but not about quality being delivered!).

1 Like

For me, the matter isn’t really three months more or less, but the fact that the project has now been postponed three times (or is it four?), casting doubts regarding Snapshot’s ability to manage their project and forecast things. Release is now one full year beyond what was announced, which is beyond what you’d expect on a development that wasn’t supposed to take that long in the first place.

While it is not uncommon for a game’s released to be postponed, it becomes problematic when a game gets postponed again and again, as it casts doubt over a studio’s ability to deliver on their promises. Yeah I know we could quibble over the fact that their are not promises, but tentative announcements, but this is all marketing BS. The fact is that at some point someone at snapshot was confident enough to say “ok, we can announce that we want to launch by the end of 2018”, and then said “fuck that, I got it wrong, make it June 2019”, and then September, and so on. Turns out that person probably wasn’t very good at judging the pace at which they made progress or the difficulties they were facing, so it makes one wonder about what else they aren’t that good at.

As an early backer, I still very much want the game to succeed even though I opted out when the Epic drama hit the boards. Back then, the double delay was already making me doubt things and I found that the odds were starting to turn. In the end, backing isn’t unlike betting, and I was willing to pay AAA price for something that had a decent chance of turning truly awesome, based mostly on JG’s good name.

Now the chance is still here, backer builds aren’t bad by any stretch, but I’d rather wait for previews and buy on day 1 if it’s truly as good as I hope. Of course I’ll also get an extra year of Epic patching and bug fix before I can get it on Steam, so there is that :slight_smile:

Now I fully realize that this view is pessimistic and a bit dickish, so I can’t stress enough that I hope Snapshot will pull it and release a great game that I’ll be happy to purchase in 15 months or so. The way I see it, the game can be a tremendous success or a mediocre release, and I’ll keep rooting for option 1.

2 Likes

Question is what was really in first scope for the project and what is right now. We don’t see their internal trello board. If they decided to add some features which were not planned, or upgrade features which were planned at some basic level, then postpones are quite reasonable. Of course there is a chance that they still try to meet their first scope of features, then this postponing looks not really promising. :wink:

Now when I think about this, I suppose that I would refund if it would be some other project/game. But damn… The lore got me so much that I really cross my fingers here. I really would want to have something better than recent XCOMs. :slight_smile:

I don’t get the feeling there was much scope creep, or I would have bailed even harder, as it’s one of the biggest red flags I can think of.

I actually have to give them points for consistency in their promises. They promised what the stretch goals achieved and that’s it (not counting epic shenanigans and moddability “in the future”). I’ll stick with grossly overestimating the potential of a newly formed dev team and a young studio, and possibly underestimating how much tactical fps have evolved since XCOM, including the need for bells and whistles.

All things considered, if that’s their only issues, time can really solve them and they can still deliver. time will tell.

Hi Vathar,
I can assure you that I do not at all think that the issues you described in your posts fall under either of those adjectives. Rather, I found them to be both salient and cogent.
I particularly liked your analogy of backing being similar to betting. One does take
a chance when laying out hard-earned cash on a project like this. It can turn out
to be vaporware, poorly executed, mediocre, good, or perhaps a classic as the original.
To be honest, I’m not expecting it to be a “classic”. What I am expecting is a polished,
bug free experience right out of the gate. Only time will tell if the lengthy delays were
justified or not.
In the interim, I’ve got a number of games on my hard drive to while away the hours with. :wink:

Regards, Odd