A different way to do difficulty modes

No they wouldn’t. They balance the game for GOLLOP MODE. If I don’t like the way the skills stack in that, it’s my option to pick a mode that limits squad skills. It’s also Zzzz’s option to pick a mode that gives him more skill uses per turn, or whatever he actually wants. If that shifts the balance of the game in certain ways, that’s our lookout - and to a certain extent, it’s also what we want.

Heck, they can even add a disclaimer to the Difficulty screen saying: “This game is optimally balanced for Gollop Mode, if you pick another mode it will drastically alter the balance.” That’s our choice.

But they’re never going to be able to balance one single version of this game to please each of the Story Player, the Super-Soldier Player and the Tactical Player, no matter what they do.

2 Likes

I would suggest the devs open another pre-beta, charlie, delta, epsilon etc. build. Let current game have now until pre-beta is fixed or ready to be released for current game as a patch. In other thread I already suggest to add custom game mode. As for reference most of Paradox Interactive publish their game with kind of custom game that integrated to main campaign, meaning players have wide option to suit their preferred campaign game. More extreme, add some Editor Mode…which allow player to add more assets and modification in the game (I believe modder gonna love this).

Number of choices is major for depth, your logic is wrong, that’s what I target. That you think it’s currently and in this game the best tactic setup for the game you play is very relative:

• Auto scaling so you play what you play, and it’s not what another player play.
  • How many global skill points per soldier is used change a lot of thing. To really make it more tactical it’s here to start put limit.
  • Number of use of a skill has no link with difficulty, it’s not a general rule to apply blindly. Moreover it’s a false reasoning because the number of skill use per turn and for the whole team is often the real point to use OP holes.

But obviously you can’t understand and then can only insult me as obtuse, sigh.

You have a job in the work of gamer psychology. I’ll talk to some of my academic friends and get them working on you PhD program (or honorary doctorate, if you’re too busy playing to attend formal classes :wink: )

The RIGHT number of choices is what makes depth. Zero choices are not fun just like unlimited. Finding the right number is the important thing and certainly a bit subjective. In terms of difficulty levels it could certainly be a choice, but whether it really ends up being fun to play would be up to testing. I don’t think anyone here could reliably know beforehand.

I know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not the right number of choices, this doesn’t exist.

It’s a matter of number of choices, balances and forced diversity. It’s not use twice a skill that will reduce depth, it’s when use it twice generates a tool powerful enough that you can apply very often.