Thoughts about the game

Voland clearly your strategy level is higher than mine. I play on rookie and like a lot of people have issues.
Stating those issues can help the developers understand that not all people want to play at high level or cannot. Maybe i am getting old who knows:)
Having said that the forums here and steam are full of people saying more or less similar things.
Now i didnā€™t know you can add the goo armor to the existing one. A good tip!
If i ever have extra resources i will build it. Having defense after defense on havens and still at low resources. I have tried to build a lot of food production to exchange resourcesā€¦
These are a few of my personal thoughts i have with the game . Considering that it is already too much and thinking of future DLCā€™s i am sure i am not that wrong. Thats why i suggested a few things in the post above
A successful game always has a good player exp and not feeling like a chore.
I am aware that the development of the game is done and no major changes could happen but honestly some ideas might worth looking into.
Who wouldnā€™t like to see for example joined missions with a faction? etc-etc

3 Likes

They are not that tough since head needs to be disabled, only troublesome situations are when 2 or 3 sirens are encountered in short time, on a distance and they can find good cover - since their MC ability needs no LOS. Any enemy unit can spot your unit - they manage to control whole team in matter of turn or two.

That is why I am for more fairer approach of limiting MC to one unit - even for a priest (as it was in Xcom 1994).
https://feedback.phoenixpoint.info/feedback/p/siren-still-mind-controlling-few-units

1 Like

This is also a trap that many beginners fall into. Have you worked out how much resources you could trade instead of building these food production facilities? Somebody did that once and it turned out that you only amortized the costs after around 5 weeks and only then make a profit. They are only useful when you already have enough resources and no more fun to also trade for food.

Just a question because I read this so often but it still never happens to me after roughly 1700h of playing the game.
Is this proven or confirmed in any way?

2 Likes

Agreed. Its worth might be in covering food costs of soldiers, thus not being in fear of running no food, being able to trade all one gains, not far then that.

Happens to me in all missions where there is good cover (e.g. Synderion maps with syrens). Syren hides behind in building and MCs.

1 Like

I would like to see a sreenshot of this.
You know that glass isnā€™t blocking LOS?

This was happening at some point, I can confirm, but not in the latest builds. Also, I havenā€™t seen since at least a few months ago the same Siren initiating mind control of 2 units on the same turn.

2 Likes

This might have gotten fixed with the last patch. There were walls that allowed LoS in the Syn maps.

2 Likes

Happened to me yesterday . i donā€™t have a screenshot. I just reloaded .

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, and you absolutely should do that. Iā€™m in no position to judge if Rookie is easy enough or not: of course itā€™s very easy for me, but I have been playing this game for more than a year now (around 700 hours, maybe).

I certainly want Rookie to be as easy as it has to be.

Yeah, as @MadSkunky said that doesnā€™t work at allā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

http://wiki.phoenixpoint.com/Geoscape#Where_do_resources_come_from.3F

The key is really to have as many teams as fast as possible doing as many things as possible. You get tons of resources just from random exploration.

2 Likes

I am aware of that. you know the resources are not a match to the speed level of the game. I have now run out of exploration points-maybe 1-4 left on the map) . My resources are low to say at least. I have 3 teams (2 good one rook-ish) and trying to create my 4th one. And yes it took me that long due to resource optionā€¦ Whats the point of creating the 4th team now? I know right.
I have mainly snipers and heavy soldiers - heavy with upgraded weapon and snipers with the good snipe you get from a faction. I have allied with all of them at this stage and just trying to delay going ont hat boring last mission because i want to enable all bases on the map. Again i know it is pointless but at a strategy game you should have time yes?
Overall the difficulty was a bit down since the initial game which is good. I had to reload only 7 -10 times if i remember well.
Maybe in the future we could see more levels ont he soldiers even though no more abilities but at least more HP per level?
At least i learned a trick for the game with that armor which is good.
Now just hope the devs listen and add more mission types etc. It feels like you are against the world against the aliens :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, why? :slightly_smiling_face:

The point of the game is to end a menace before it destroys whatā€™s left of the world. There is absolutely no reason to activate all the bases. There are so many of them to give the player choice as to which ones to activate depending on the necessities in each playthrough; I donā€™t think I ever activated more than 9.

In X-Com 1994, you donā€™t build a base on every continent, country, town, etc, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Back then i never liked it to be honest. it was extremely unforgiving. We can talk about JA or JA2 which i spend hundreds of hours but there is a point in me when the game is too difficult by devs choice to prolong the game time that is not appealing to me.
Plus we cannot talk about one centure ago games can we? :slight_smile:
Let me try to explain why. For example in xcom 2 you had a balanced attack per month which gave you time to build-upgrade train soldiers etc. it felt like a small break within the game.
With PP and the hectic speed it seems from middle game onwards to go through a single day you can have 3-4-5 haven defenses as a pandaren attack , maybe a base attack and all the rest. Which gave the player 2-4 hours of defending attacks just for a day. I guess what i am trying to say is that i am trying to acvtually finish someting instead of just reacting .
Isnā€™t that what great games achieve? a player to feel he is doing something and gets you into the role.

2 Likes

I also want to complain and this is really something that drives me mad :wink:

Honestly, winning the whole game in 2-3 months?

Several researches, building aircraft, vehicles and equipment and so on. At the same time the Pandorans evolve from crappy and weak melee warriors into heavy armoured threats and get reinforced by even heavier monsters in such a short time frame.

It feels too fast and it happens too much simultaneously ā€¦

I would like it when we would have more breaks, more time to breath. Let the research be take more time, manufacturing could be slower and also the Pandorans should have more time to get really strong.

But please, just for a better feeling, they should make anything somewhat slower and not too much at the same time.

2 Likes

Oh, I completely agree about the pace - itā€™s stupidly fast. Itā€™s one of the main gripes I have with the game. I want less missions and more stuff happening between them.

But I like the basic structure, or premise of a Doomsday Clock that you have to beat, not stop, and that you have to concentrate on an objective, not ā€œconquer all the territoriesā€.

3 Likes

Budget your resources early on in the game. The time will come when one can spend more freely. Keep a good balance in reserve. Scrap weapons and ammo not needed. Same with base facilities.

1 Like

Now that was a good advise, thank you, mcarver2000!
Iā€™ve never realized that you can get back a part of base activation cost by scrapping unneeded base equipmentā€¦

2 Likes

An update on a few things I noticed.

I am now at 42% of infestation. The pandarens cannot progress as I kill every nest,citadel etc. Here is the kicker. When you kill all of them in less than 10 hours new appear-destroy them and new appear, and again the same over and over Destroy-respawn in less than 10 hours.

The Scylla with the daze ability is just overpowered . The mob is overpowered in general but this one is annoying as hell. Daze all my units ( in the limited space you have on citacdel) and trying to send them in different directions so eventually so I get a unit that can fire. When you manage to kill the mob ( PRAISE THE BUG) you get the mind control units as a bonus. Ok you destroy their bases. You get some rep for factions but not a single break , some resources?

I have searched the entire map and I have trouble with resources as a few of the havens are not enough. Imagine you do 2-3 fights every 10 hours and the havens do not have any resource for you to trade. So I am stuck in attack-heal-attack mode.

Havens do not develop at all from day 1 until now they have no defenses apart from the same 3 soldiers even though they have develop new tech. So you enter a map with many enemies and they have I donā€™t know shotgun or assault rifles.

Archelogy sites. I am trying to get them to see what is the benefits of those. The ancient enemies are overpowered as I mentioned beforehand and they can one shot you. Especially the big ones.

The manned aircraft is stuck there gathering 1 by 1 of that resource they provide I am not sure for how long this will go on.

Between missions there is nothing else. Fight-fight and fight.

I now have develop the anti mind control helmet. Very late in the game. It is useless and combined with the lack of resources I cannot produce it in any way.

Overall. The pandarens have stopped developing as they produce everything. The havens are still like day 1

The pure keep attacking havens even though I destroyed their fort.

So some diversity is required. Something to reduce the constant fight of no gain.

Thatā€™s my updateJ

1 Like

I forgot the breaking equipment was a usefull tip and gave me some back. Regarding the bases i am not sure. For me A med and living quorters are a must also the mist thingy and the radar to find stuff on the map. You also need some containment units and cyber-archeology etc.
Maybe i am playing it wrong.

Have you ever read this very useful tutorial in the wiki?

Itā€™s a lot, but I highly recommend it and itā€™s pretty accurately up to date too thanks to the inexhaustible @Voland.

Iā€™ve played 3 campaigns. 2 half ones on launch and with the first DLC on Veteran I think. My impressions were extremely close to yours.
I recently finished a campaign on Hero and it was a breeze with a bit of save scumming and reference to the excellent wiki. I felt I got ahead of the curve early and the Pandorans never caught up. I dealt Sirens preemptively, hardly encountered, Bomb Chirons, immediately researched goo wellies etc. I accidentally allied everyone ( I was ignoring Anu but they easily caught up once I was base raiding a lot. They also have a lto if havens to defend.

There is clearly a massive learning curve to the game and the difficulty for newer players is punishing
as Volands repeatedly says.

1 Like