Some features might be clever but they aren’t fun

I see how this can become annoying if implemented badly. On the other hand I kind of like the idea that you have to be responsible with your resources and think twice whether you should take a shot. This will probably result in a very different strategy where you have to get up close and personal and use melee, grenades and traps more often than simply raining bullets on the enemy. Or maybe you have to come up with makeshift weapons or use the environment (the big red fuel tank eventually) to your advantage.

You can give items to other soldier adjacent to one using inventory.

Great. Must be orthogonally adjacent. I think I was diagonal and it did not work.

I don’t want to focus too much on scavenging unless it’s more optional than necessary. It could be cool feature though: just make crates less frequent and more difficult to find (maybe they also shouldn’t be included in every mission) so they could have some powerful/unique equipment elements.
Or just leave it as it is, but don’t make crates crucial for the entire game (they could be very useful in the beginning of the game, though).
Scavenging missions (=something like supply drop missions from XCOM) could also be nice, if not too frequent.

PS. I like the idea of scavenging under water. I know it is a matter of possible DLC but imagine these missions full of mystery and sunken goods, maybe even some shipwrecks to investigate…

I hope that scavenging missions won’t bee too difficult most of the time. You go to some abandoned site and too presence of many mutants there is not quite logical. So scavenging and crates should not be crucial to survival on the mission :wink: or even winning the game. You will be able to manufacture things, but maybe there will be some rare materials you need to obtain. :thinking:

I’m totally fine with this kind of mission. “Go there and retrieve this rare crate of ununpentium so that we can craft cool shit” is a perfectly logical goal, whereas “go there and do stuff … by the way, we aren’t sending you with enough weapons and ammo, so here’s to hoping you’ll find some mothballed in crates somewhere” rubs me the wrong way and should restricted to a few select missions where the narrative clearly explains why you didn’t go in loaded for bear.

Could be an infiltration mission where you simply couldn’t carry heavy weapons and things went south.Could be a rescue where the rescued troopers aren’t armed for obvious reasons, or anything else, but you’d definitely need a justification.

1 Like