Sirens should be immune to Neural Disruption

My best guess is that they do need to make it harder, by adding another difficulty level. 12/10/8/5/2. A mere 2 SP/mission and you troops will suck throughout the entire game! Those high-level faction recruits will really stand out, but without raiding can you get enough resources to buy them before they mostly disappear? There is still the ride around in APC tactic that can be done even by un-armored lvl2 troopers, but the usual wealth of tactical freedoms are severely diminished.

I’m all for the ND head. They only have 16 armor and are expensive to repair. There should be a Siren mutation that has increased resistance to it, or better yet “feedback” that damages the attacker!

Well in my experience it’s certainly possible. As it were, I’d abandoned the whole raiding thing simply because I found it unnecessary and quite a bore/chore.

(In Legend) By simply flying around and scouting POIs (apparently missed about 20 according to the Victory screen), doing about 1/4 of the scavenging missions and just the regular story missions, saving my preferred havens (not all of them) and trading trading trading, I had somewhere around 30-40 soldiers in the last game I’d played. Most of them were level 7, a few of them were those “juicy” faction soldiers you refer to.

Here’s the thing though, even those “juicy” faction soldiers that we can recruit I’m not a huge fan of. They often come with skills I don’t care for, despite having extra stats… and the stat bonuses aren’t entirely necessary either. I don’t need extra speed on someone who’s going to just sit back and launch grenades, or use a jetpack. I don’t need strength on someone who’s using a vehicle mostly. I care more about selecting just the skills/stats I want/need than getting a small sum and variety. I always preferred those 3 recruits whose skills I could examine before recruiting throughout the game from the inventory management screen. Always looking for something like a powerful damage combo of Sniperist/Reckless, or something like Biochemist on a Heavy.

Biochemist, War Cry, Rage Burst, Deceptor MG and about 11 Willpower is all that’s needed to take on a Scylla rather easily. I’d tend to throw the extra SP into Strength with some heavy armor/augments just to make it a walking tank. Drop it off wherever it needs to be with a vehicle, Onslaught it with another passenger and boom. Who needs speed or to even use the jetpack? Didn’t really need the armor/strength either. Maybe give him the Brawler skill too, and just drive around, eject him out to melee everything else to death. Over-encumbrance didn’t matter.

https://feedback.phoenixpoint.info/feedback/p/neural-disruption-does-not-work-on-sirens-and-scylla

Vit Barta

marked this post as

COMPLETE

Phoenix Point v. Arkham 1.8 - 04/11/2020

The Neural Disruption ability will now disable the Siren’s Mind Control ability

I think that the main problem here is that the Pandorans are just as strong at lower levels as they are at higher levels; they just evolve a little slower. I think this has been a deliberate decision by the developers, which I think should be reconsidered.

I see a lot of posts from experienced players complaining that the game is way too easy.
Speaking as a casual player (still with >250 hours of playtime thorugh the years) I find the game very challenging and quite frustrating at times, playing at Veteran difficulty.

Reading proposals to make Sirens and Scyllas immune to the only “weaknesses” they have seems just wrong to me since it will affect players on all difficulty levels. The only effect that it would make is that the majority of players will have their teams sistematically wiped off in early-mid game and abandon the game.

Please do keep in mind that not everybody plays the game multiple times and analyze every possible ability combination in order to find the most destructive. I see comments from players who played dozens of times. Of course you find the game easier, you have had a lot of experience playing it; but how about the first time you played? (Considering you did not go searching for tips/tutorials)

Most players will try the game at most one or two times. If they get frustrated because at lower levels they keep getting their team destroyed, they will surely won’t consider playing anymore, and possibly leave a negative review.

What I think should be done, is to ditch this concept (from the wiki):

However, the enemies on all difficulty levels are the same: they have the same stats, mutations and abilities, and the same AI

Also, RNG is not adjusted for difficulty: you have the same chance to hit and of being hit on Rookie and on Legend, and the same chances with Exploration Events

Pandorans at lower levels should be weaker, and possibly limit Sirens to one per mission (limit incread according to the level) and limit the possible mutations leaving the more powerful to the higher diffculty levels.

Only at this point you can consider giving more immunities and making Pandorans stronger. However, as long as the enemies are the same at all levels, this can (and should) not be done.

Also, I think that the “Second Wave” options proposed should really be implemented to give more flexibility to all players.

I think it is not so easy to implement really different enemies thoughout difficulty settings, except most basic changes. So Legendary has + 100 HP to general pool, +4 speed etc. so on lower diffuculties you won’t witness these bonuses.

Managing difficulty of mission thoughout number of deployed enemy units can work just should be tweaked.

I agree with this general philosophy. I like the idea of having various solutions for the same puzzle. It does help prevent you from being forced to always approach an enemy in the exact same pattern. (Even though I generally do take out the head I have other options and so do other players).

Thing is, ive always dealt with Sirens by just blasting them in the face. Boom, their WP are gone; their mind control is gone and youve dealt it a great deal of damage. Later on I noticed dazing removes mind control as well. When I found out about that I sometimes hit them with an Hel II or the phoenix point caddle prod thingy to daze them for the same result.

Fact that you can just daze it with the Neural Disruption to disable the mind control as well doesent make it OP, it means the player has options.