Remote control and vanish "exploit"?

In the patch notes it made vague references to “exploiting” remote control and vanish. This sounds like it refers to spamming these abilities. Making good and creative use of abilities is what players should be aiming for. Calling that cheating, is rude and insulting. If you didn’t want the abilities to be spammed, you shouldn’t have made them able to be spammed. I agree, that the abilities needed to be changed, but accusing players of cheating for using abilities as presented is not reasonable. I gather English is not your first language, so perhaps you were unaware that the word “exploit” refers to a form of cheating in English. It specifically means exploiting an unintended BUG. The ability to spam these abilities was not a bug, the abilities just weren’t fully thought out. Along the same lines you probably also want to consider the sniper ability quick aim. Pistols and, more importantly, the crystal crossbow can be spammed for a large burst of damage. If that isn’t what you are intending, then fix it. But, might I suggest not dumping on your players and blaming them for your mistakes if you do fix it.

2 Likes

Not? Please go back to your dictionary and check it again.

You know that some people working there are from UK or US? :slight_smile:

I guess that’s what they did.

Yes. The term “exploit” in a gaming context refers to cheating.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt Yokes. If English IS their first language, then they were either being intentionally insulting, or they really weren’t paying attention.

I would also add that English IS a second language for many people in the US and the UK. But, Snapshot Games is based in Bulgaria. I’m willing to cut them some slack if Bulgarian is their first language.

Either way, they should definitely replace words related to “exploit” in the various patch notes and pages related to the update. They already have a small player base, pissing us off by unfairly calling us cheaters is not the best business strategy.

Yes they did Rainer. And I like how they solved the problem. The abilities are still cool, and better balanced (heck remote control is probably still OP). I’m glad they changed the abilities, but I don’t appreciate them calling me a cheater for using the abilities as advertised.

I would also ask: if technicians sitting back remote controlling turrets isn’t what they intended with an ability called REMOTE CONTROL, wtf did they intend?

Sure exactly that, but not for the price it had before :wink:

It is actually OP, same as Scorcher AT and Destiny and other stuff that you can abuse. The list is endless

1 Like

Lol. It can be used to describe cheating. But it doesn’t mean it has to be used in this manner. So beware… as they doesn’t necessarily called anyone cheater. They just pointed out that some things can be used as exploit to gain advantage. Not necessarily cheating. KA BOOM - I know this is crazy, but you can call someone, baby!

Yeah. They are still VERY powerful (this game HATES assault rifles). And, if by “abuse” you mean ‘play the game well, using the tools available in an effective manner’, then absolutely! :wink:

I fully disagree, the game lacks balance

1 Like

Is there even “cheating” in a single-player game where you can use mods? Which mods are “cheats”? And most importantly… who cares if you “cheat” in a single player game? Who will monitor and judge you for that?

Most of the time “exploit” is used to mean “using things not according to their intended design, making the game way easier than it was designed to be”. One can argue if vanish/remote control was used as they were designed or not, but they did make the game way too easy (in combination with all the other overpowered combos).

1 Like

It also raises the question: since it is a single player game, why insult their customers by calling them cheaters, even if they are cheating? That’s just bad business. And, calling someone a cheater for using an ability according to its in game description is downright ignorant.

Did you read the wikipedia article you linked?

In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, speed or level design etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game’s designers.[1] Exploits have been classified as a form of cheating;[ citation needed ] however, the precise determination of what is or is not considered an exploit can be controversial. This debate stems from a number of factors but typically involves the argument that the issues are part of the game and require no changes or external programs to take advantage of them.

There is an ongoing debate if “exploits” are cheats or not, if using in-game resources can be called “cheats” or not, I don’t think you can say that everyone agrees that your definition is true, and I think most will not feel particularly angry for calling remote control/vanish exploits.

That’s not quite right. Here’s another quote from the dictionary definition: " an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, speed or level design etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game’s designers."

Using an ability in a manner not anticipated by the game designer is not the same as an exploit, unless you are taking advantage of a bug or glitch in the programming of that ability. An ability can be unbalanced and need to be reworked, but using it in an unexpected manner is not an exploit. And, using an ability in the manner that the name and description of the ability implies that it was intended is bizarre to refer to as an “exploit”.

The fact that remote control could be used by technicians to easily tear down a scylla in one round, meant that the ability was unbalanced. That’s on Snapshot Games. Blaming the players for using the ability to do exactly what the in game description says it is supposed to do, is ridiculous and unfair.

The fact vanish can be used to move across the map is the same. The in-game description says that it moves you, and they didn’t put a cap on it. That was their mistake, and again it is not reasonable to blame the players for using the ability to do exactly what the description says it does.

If you can use “allowed” missions stealing from same haven again and again, is that an exploit?

Of course bad design becomes an exploit, but devs are entitled to fix those if they want

2 Likes

What qualifies as an exploit is controversial. The definition of the word is not.

Neither of these abilities were bugged that I know of. They were just poorly thought out.

On the other hand, most gamers will call using an OP ability all the time exploiting it. You might not agree, but that’s a relative widespread usage of the term, and changing how “the masses” define things is impossible.

Yep. That is too true. Too many people think, ‘that person is playing the game better than I am (or having an easier time), instead of getting better I will accuse them of cheating, because tearing someone else down is easier than building myself up’.

Luckily Snapshot didn’t do that, they only called an exploit exploit (even the wikipedia says ‘citation needed’ for calling an exploit cheating), so everything is in order now.

1 Like

It is.

There is no definition. There is a wiki page, written by a community for a community. You can change it, you know, in such way it won’t be insulting for you anymore.

1 Like