Phoenix point: some helpful hints for xcom players (updated)

I agree, there are a lot of small rules to the game that are never explained to the players. This one could be a useful entry in the wiki. I certainly would’ve the same doubt as you if I hadn’t read that changelog. At the time, I did think it would help with the half-full magazine hassle, but I was also sure that it would cause confusion.

AMMO:
Here’s a good clarificathion from @lenswer on the Steam version of this thread:

They dont junk half magazines. The new system is:
After mission, not full magazines will be removed from soldier inventory and returned to store. There the game counts the leftover ammo in the magazine, if there are other used mag with enough ammo in them, to fill one of them, the game fills one to full and it is loaded back to soldier inventory.
Partially empty mags are not show up in the stock, but they are there.
So the lefover ammo is not discarded, you just can’t see and take them from stock.

Example:
Before mission you have 3 mags for sniper rifle, 1 in weapon, 1 in sniper inventory and 1 in the stock. In combat you used one ammo from the rifle (one shot) after mission, the used mag is exchanged with the full mag from the store, and now you have only 2, because the store shows zero. Later the sniper uses 2 ammo, and after mission, you will see the same 2 mags are in his inventory, because one of them where filled from the store’s hidden leftover mag.

4 Likes

A recent discussion on the CC made me realise that not everyone is aware that you can use Vehicles as kit transports.

To do this, access the Backpack of any Squaddie who is inside the vehicle. Any kit they dump on the ‘ground’ inside the vehicle is actually dumped into the vehicle, which will carry it around until someone comes and picks it up off the ‘ground’.

I do this with the bespoke Tecchie I allocate to each of my vehicles - I overload them with extra ammo for my Heavy’s weapons, hop them inside the vehicle on turn 1 and unload all the extra kit into the vehicle. Then, when my Heavy runs out of ammo, the vehicle can bus over to them and the Tech hops out of the vehicle with a spare ammo clip.

11 Likes

Thank you so much for the tip!
That’s a nice trick indeed!

1 Like

It’s good, but

1. Are there any tips in the game about this?
  2. Where does the Scarab disappear after the Tutorial?
  3. 1+2, Scarab at Start for New and Veteran.
1 Like

It is broken, at least so tells the story in the tutorial.

Agree :+1:

2 Likes
  1. Not at the moment. It’s something we’ve advised Snapshot to do.
    2&3. See Mad Skunky’s replies.

There is a logical connection here.

The recent change to Fire Damage in the Orryx Patch has confused some players. There is a long explanation from the devs, followed by a couple of good summaries here: V 1.10 Question about fire damage - #22 by Valygar

To summarise:

1. The Target takes impact damage from the delivery weapon used - which is 80 minus armour for a Dante and 20 minus armour from a Purification Grenade.
  2. The Target is immediately set on fire and takes 40 minus armour to each location.
  3. At the start of its next turn, the Target will take a further 40 minus armour to each location. However, if it moves off of the flaming tile, its burning status is instantly removed and will take no further damage.
  4. The tile will keep burning, reducing its damage by 10 until it burns out.
  5. Anyone or anything that moves into that tile takes burning damage to all locations and to its general HP equal to the current damage of the tile minus armour.

There seems to be a bug that if the target moves diagonally between two burning tiles, it will not take damage (because it did not technically enter either of the 2 burning tiles).

The thing to remember now is that a burning target no longer carries its flaming status with it. It will only take damage if it stays in, or moves into, a burning tile - and it will only take that damage once per turn, not from every tile it moves through (or at least that’s what my tests seem to show).

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Sorry, a few comments:

Dante does 80 damage on a single body part (seemingly determined at random); this is new.

Purification grenade works like before: it does 20 blast damage and 5 shred, thus affecting several body parts (same as all explosives).

The fire status effect is removed after spending a whole turn without starting or stepping on a lit tile. Example: you start turn outside of fire. You run through a lit tile (acquiring fire status equal to the strength of the fire on the tile and taking immediate damage for stepping on a lit tile), but end your turn on a tile without fire. Next turn you will take damage from the status fire, but if you stay out of fire that entire turn, you will lose the fire status.

As you say, It’s not a bug, it’s just that diagonal movement in PP is possible and you only take damage from a lit tile if you step on it.

Please see above. I would describe it as
the target inherits the fire status of the tile it steps on, and fire status is lost after spending one turn outside of fire

I have specifically checked this: damage is taken for every lit tile that the target enters.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying.
There’s a lot here for people to get their heads around.

Just updated this to include all DLC and some other clarifications.
Hope it helps any new players joining in October.

1 Like