Phoenix point: some helpful hints for xcom players (updated)

Maybe you should update your Wiki link to the official one (Getting Started - wiki.phoenixpoint.com).

Again, nice work :+1:

1 Like

I was given the link by Voland (or was it Snapshot Eric, I can’t quite remember now), so I went with it. I think they both link to the same place anyway.

I also think they link to the same server.
But just to be on the save side, maybe they kick the old URL in the future when the new and official one is established.

1 Like

yep I would also update the link to official one, before old will expire

Done :grin:

1 Like

An interesting discussion on the Snapshot Forum (Auto resolve mechanic would be nice) has prompted me to add these words of advice:

Don’t try to do everything. Unlike XCOM, this game doesn’t hold your hand on the strategic layer - it doesn’t present you with a list of 3 options and say ‘but you only have the capacity to do one.’ Instead, it presents you with a myriad of possibilities and leaves you to make the strategic calculations about what is most important. But if you try to defend every Haven, explore every POI, hold every Mine or complete every Special Mission, you will fatally overstretch yourself and ultimately fail.

This is especially true in the Endgame, when you simply cannot defend every Haven that gets attacked. You need to keep your eye on the prize - which is researching an ultimate solution with the help of whichever Faction you’ve tied yourself most closely to - and defend just enough Havens to keep the Human Population from tanking while you do this. So pick your battles, don’t try to do everything, and never forget that your ultimate goal is to Research the maguffin that will trigger the Final Conflict. Everything else is secondary.

4 Likes

Had a query about ammo on the Steam HH4XP, so thought I’d repost my response here too:

When you give a weapon to a soldier, it is auto-loaded if you have the ammo in store. It only consumes the number of shots you fire on the mission and the ammo icon on the weapon will slowly fill up with red from the top down as it empties. At the end of the mission, you get the option to partially reload any weapon you’ve fired (and have reverse-engineered if its not a PP weapon).

The irritating thing is that if you return a half empty weapon to the stores, the depleted mag disappears and you lose that ammo. This is because some players complained early on about reloading with half-empty mags from the stores, and PP’s simple solution was to junk all half-empty mags.

But it does mean that if you are using eg. a Bulldog which you have picked up but not reverse-engineered yet, you cannot reallocate it to another soldier (except by exchanging items in-mission) because you will lose the half-empty mag if he returns it to the stores.

Are you sure? I remember at the time of this fix, the partial clip just wasn’t shown anymore, but it still existed in the stores. Has this changed later?

Yup, I think so. And it’s really annoying, since it means you can’t swap guns with other squad members in between missions without losing the half-empty magazine.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely bad, I hope this is a bug and not a feature.

Sadly, it’s a feature (confirmed by the devs on the CC).

Did they expand on the reason? So we lose an entire clip if we shoot just one bullet? (provided we take the weapon off the soldier)

The reason I was given was that players had complained about getting half-empty clips in their inventory from the stores, and with the system as it stands, the only way they could deal with it was by making half-empty clips disappear when they were sent back to the stores.

Otherwise, it requires a major recode, and I agree that they have bigger fish to fry.

1 Like

But why take these complaints on? Were there a mass of players complaining? I didn’t see anything here or on canny… to me at least this is so much worse. I didn’t mind seeing half-full (be positive about things man :joy:) clips in the inventory, in fact I preferred that than they being there but not being seen, although I didn’t mind it too.

However just throwing your ammo away is the worse option of all, again, in my opinion. Worse still that it happens mid-mission!

1 Like

It was before Canny, and from memory there was quite an upswell of complaint about it.

But it’s the classic ‘can’t please everybody’. Some players (myself included) don’t like it as it stands now - others hated the old system where you ended up accidentally loading your weapon with a half-full mag.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the following is also the case for any other weapon.

I tried a bit with the Goliath grenade launcher and for this one I can clearly say that a ‘partial magazine’ is not lost. It is only not shown in the inventory and so not usable to equip another grenade launcher, the second one will go empty to a soldier and a full magazine has to be build.
BUT, after a mission without having any full grenade launcher magazine in my inventory the grenade launcher is filled up with the ‘partial magazine’ that is hiding in the background (no option to ‘buy’ ammunition).
I test this several times by shooting mostly only one or two grenades and it always worked this way, at least with the grenade launcher.

1 Like

Ok. Interesting and good to know. I’ll have to test it.

This is how I thought it worked for months now, after some patch where they explained it in the changelog.

I thought @MichaelIgnotus was saying that it changed again and the half-full magazine became lost forever if you took it off the soldier’s hands.

If there are no changes and the behavior is the same as @MadSkunky described it’s great, I’ve no complaints about it.

1 Like

I tested it only with the grenade launcher and it would be weird if it is different with other weapons, but who knows …

Edit:
I think it was also the same with my first Bulldog AR that I found, that a partial magazine is used to fill up after a mission. But here I don’t look exactly, so I’m not sure.
I tested it just right now with the grenade launcher because of your small conversation here and currently all other weapons have enough magazines in reserve … :wink:

1 Like

I was never aware of the change you’re talking about. Thing is, there are times when the game does a poor job of making things clear to the players - even after they’ve instituted the pop-up tooltips - and this is one of them.#

If you didn’t catch that changelog, all you see is a clip disappearing when it’s moved into the inventory, and there is nothing to tell you that it hasn’t been lost.

Though when I bug-reported it to the devs, no-one told me that it hadn’t been lost so who knows? I’ll have to check…

3 Likes