So currently the game counts how many times you’ve used your weapon for stats and memorial UI, as showed on the picture below.
So why not used this to create more realistic proficiency system?
Currently you click and you have flat proficiency that gives you some aim modifier and perks with damage as well.
I propose that we used this memorial counter as a base of our new proficiency system. So bonus to aim would actually go up if a soldier would use their weapon more. And be more linear rather than static currently. Now you just click it and you have it for the rest of the game.
Maybe do class flat proficiency that would be lower than now and then the more you use given equipment the more proficiency bonuses you get.
It would need to be properly balanced to not make game more difficult at the beginning.
Maybe make classes activating those proficiency bonuses being accrued. Plus some bonuses.
Some additonal thoughts:
- more intuitive and more flexible. Opens up new ways of moving forward than just giving you perks to click-on.
- it would give additional incentives to use different weapons in combat, not just to kill, but to train
- it’s more realistic and fits the free aim idea
- gives more flexibilty in building soldier progression. A players alone decide if they have more pistol bonuses, better granedas, more improved grenade launchers - or even specific type weapons / items, because what they’re doing on battlefield is influencing it. So more various types of soldiers would be created and each of them could be more unique instead of some pre-defined bonuses only
- allows in-battle action infuencing soldiers directly (e.g. - hit a head with sniper rifle 3x in a row without miss at minimum 30 tile range → +1 proficiency, kill 3 enemies in one turn with grenades → + 1 some grenades modifier) so not only how many times, but also would be possible to make some weird requirements for people to trying achieve on battlefield which would add something new and challanging player can do (but not by upping numbers of enemies) -sort of in-battle achievements
What are your thoughts? It could be even done with skills. The game counts how many times you used them anyway. So why not make use of it?
" Lack of money is no obstacle. Lack of an idea is an obstacle. "
Have a good day y’all.