Legacy of the Ancients weapons are too OP

Yes, please, so you still need mining in order to use these fancy weapons, free ammo is too good, I sold all obsolete weapons, great deal, Goliath GL, Iconoclast, Harrower, Raven, Pythagoras…

2 Likes

Addition to that, I would like to find those weapons rather then manufacture them. They should be unique, but ammo would be expensive.

Now we can have as many as we have and there is no ammo.

As I said, it’s like a overpowered game mod which a modder made for power fantasy rather then balance and common sense.

To be honest, we should have a special alien resource from the beginning of the game. If they implement a px weapon tier, they should add this too. But we got already crappy 3 lota resource.

To be honest, my hopes are for pp second year addition. One by one, it would be nearly impossible to balance and redesign all the old and new dlcs.

1 Like

YES PLEASE to these weapons being unique!

And I can’t find reason for 3 new resources, used only on these weapons. One more resource type would’ve been ok, and you should be able to trade it, but maybe not buy it or at a very expensive rate.

Maybe provide a “second wave” style option so people can choose to have these weapons unique.

I’m not a fan of “unique” weapons (or armor) I have to micro-manage with swapping around on my teams. We already have 1 set that is unique, do we really need to repeat that?

Getting these weapons is a lot of trouble, they should be above and beyond all the other weapons in the game. You are still limited by your resources as to how many you can make.

I’m not a Hero or Legendary player, so I don’t know how they play on those levels - I only play Rookie (mostly) or Veteran. I don’t know how they work with broken class/multi-class combinations either, I don’t tend to be a Min-Max player.

Whatever is done, please keep in mind not everyone wants them scaled down so much they aren’t worth the time and trouble - unless of course the time and trouble to get them is also nerfed as well.

From what I’ve been reading I think that everyone or at least the great majority of opinions are indeed for nerfing the trouble to get them along with other changes.

If the weapons remain very OP, they should be very expensive. However, being much OP in regard to other weapons makes it look like “here’s a pay-to-win DLC”. I’m sure it’s not the dev’s intention, or else it would be easy to unlock them too.

All in all we’re just discussing ideas here, we’re all players. In my personal opinion, I’d like DLC weapons to provide different approaches / tactics, while being at most a bit more powerful than non-DLC counterparts. They can come in any variant, early, mid or end-game weapons. We can have OP-weapons both in the normal game and inside DLC, specially end-game weapons, and specially at lower difficulties. Right now, it’s DLC-only and badly implemented.

You have a good point against unique items. I didn’t even think about it because I hate micromanagement that detracts from the fun or abuse game mechanics, so I don’t change the living weapons and armor from soldiers around. The guys that have it, have it. If they get an upgrade, someone else gets it, and that’s it. At one time I had some soldiers that didn’t have all armor parts. They went to battle without it. I tried swapping armor to avoid it but I hate this type of work, so I stopped doing it. I can see that others would feel compelled to do this all the time and it would indeed suck.

1 Like

To be honest the game needs those too. We just don’t have a proper tier system so you are using mostly your early to mid game weapons to the end. I don’t like that. I want to improve my arsenal. You can’t just add more and more different tactical things. Game got covered them mostly with weapon types and skills already. As we talk about before, there is still no machine gun for whole game after deceptor… same for hell 2… AR and SG’s got a little bit more variety. Snipers are good. Pistols and PD’s are totally useless as defensive weapons, not counting gorgon as it’s unbalanced OP as it can be.

Enemies get better and better faster and non-stop, but you need to use same weapon for whole game. It’s not fitting to X-Com genre.

I hoped that LotA will help to solve the problem but it messed that so badly, I can’t imagine worse. As I said, I expected one tier up weapon tier for PX but we got godlike weapons which are very hard/long/boring/lame to manufacture and then a badge named “You Win”…

You are right. For that reason, we talk about a re-design for full concept… not just playing with stats or changing some code… all of the design is very bad and cannot saved with touches…

I don’t like it too, but these are separate things. We can have weapon tiers and different options between tiers. For example, tier 1 is really solid as you’ve a lot of options from PX and all factions. When we get to tier 2 it’s a bit worse, because some weapons are OK, others you get only one better option, others have only sidegrades for tier 1 and are not really tier 2 (like the piranha, it gets more shred but loses damage, this was to circumvent pandoran evolution that was and still is mostly about more armor), and other weapon types don’t even have sidegrades nor upgrades, like the heavy cannon or GL (now there’s another GL in LotA). Also, PX develops tech and upgrades for a few weapons but not others that they could do so.

Then I don’t even know if something can be considered tier 3, I guess those LotA items?

Ideally, we would have 2 or 3 tiers with variety from PX and the 3 factions, plus DLC which could bring other sidegrades but for different tiers. If DLC content is the absolute best, there are no choices.

These 10 € are well invested… You can get better weapons if you want to. The game does not force you. You don’t need to build or own the “legendary” weapons, but for the add on it would be a shame if we don’t get it. It should just get you through the game a bit faster if you have problems with whatever. That really shouldn’t bother you hardcore games. Changes are usually made after the DLC. For good reason ) Watch what you want, think about what happened to RB. Useless in its current state. Just delete it.

Px weapons are T0. Faction weapons are T1 and some few updates more from NJ are T1.5… so we don’t even have T2… yeah LotA weapons could have some special place but I think this DLC should come later as design. We should have proper T2-T3 weapons of PX own.

PX has some upgrades, like the laser weapons/turrets. It needs moar, I agree, and moar combining faction tech like these.

Not only factions… researches over pandorans does not do anything over weapon tech. It’s so absurd that your mission is to destroy pandorans so you need something against them. So at some point, PX should mix things over pandorans research…

Rail and laser weapons are not related, so it’s not logical to find a new tech from them. They could be used to have a totally new thing…

Laser tech should evolve to pulse weapons like railguns evolve… then we need to find… plasma weapons?

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me like LOTA has to be seen as bonus end game content…

This means:

• All the players get to face the new evolved Pandorans

• The players looking for a challenge get the Ancient Ruins

• If you like TBs, just want to mess around with ultra OP weapons, or you actually need them, you can go on the treasure hunt to build the weapons.

So for once I agree with @Omega (not on the Rage Burst part though, I like it very much now) :slightly_smiling_face:

TBH, any attempts to sensibly integrate LOTA with the main content are doomed to failure without redoing the whole DLC, which I don’t see happening.

Edit: the one major change I would do to LOTA is gate it behind Antarctica.

1 Like

Robert Capa said: “If your photographs aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough”

It is the same for Rage Burst

2 Likes

As is they’re making everything else in the game not worth the time and trouble. Spend some time capturing an LoA resource asap, focus on that tech and build 6 Arch Labs or something. Bam, you have the most OP weapons the game can offer you by early second month, infinite ammo that you never have to pay for, and half the game’s research tech that has now become obsolete and an absolute waste of your time to research so should be avoided to make the game faster. You know what, while we’re at it, why not just delete half of this game since it’s all not really needed anymore thanks to this DLC?

I’m being a bit extreme to make a point, but this is pretty much the case currently if one were to capitalize on this DLC’s offerings. But there’s a variety of reasons contributing to this issue.

I’m very curious though, since I have difficulty understanding the Rookie perspective. How exactly does it seem necessary that you have an entire arsenal of these weapons in Rookie, or that every soldier seems to need one? Based on what I’ve read from @Thanatos , it sounds like the reward offsets the drudgery of playing these Ancient maps.

Kind of. Depending on how you play the game, you can effectively have infinite resources. (Pretty easy to do without exploiting, even easier with exploiting… also needs to be fixed)

That I’m also not a fan of. Also why I AM a fan of not being able to trade inventory on a soldier not stationed at a base, and inventory management being base/aircraft-specific just like in the original Xcom. Solved this issue while just being more things to manage and keep track of in some ways… but if I’m being honest, in original Xcom I had one main base that did most of everything, then one “Quick response” base with secondary teams and equipment, and one research base. I only ever managed inventories between two bases as a kid really, which wasn’t that difficult or bothersome from what I can remember so I don’t really know why that was chopped/new-xcom copied. Never once did I think “Oh I should be able to change these soldiers inventory wherever I want.” No… it wasn’t a consideration, it wasn’t needed, and I can’t possibly imagine how that could improve a game. That decision was made by someone though.

I think I made that suggestion somewhere before too. I think story-wise it’d make sense, but one could still easily just raidbomb someone for the resources to pump out 10 arch labs on Feb 1, then by Feb 7 you have all the weapons still.

Do you remember the original version of RB? It was 1000% better than standing 2m in front of your opponent to hit anything. Besides this is not the thread for this. I was just pointing out what happens if you want to change player skills. This is what comes out of it. Congratulations. It’s a damn game and not a life task.Think of it as a hobby, fun whatever. Relax. With 10 € you support the developers, not me. I am not important. It does not matter what I want. The community very well therefore to you all take care of what you want.

Agreed. However as @Rainer pointed out, it would not be the only thing needed.

As for the rest of your reply, it’s disheartening because as you’re CC, it gives the impression that you already got some information that not much changes will come. LotA being bonus end game content is OK, but that needs to be better integrated into the game story/lore-wise and the antarctica lock-gate is only the bare minimum in that.

You summarized it very well. Thank you. We all hope for improvement. Also gives the developers some time for something new and changes. Best regards. Also I’m glad that at least one of you likes RB in the current state ))))))))

I would expect that as a DLC after FS or even later… it’s too early to get so extra content when we are missing in the normal game period like new enemy types and tiers we talk about…

** sectoid_br**

Risk vs Reward - so long as the risk is great, let the reward be too. I like weapons that are a bit OP at the end, but I also like weapons that provide different approaches or tactics too, however, those can be hard to balance correctly because people have different playstyles. A casual player is going to approach something very different than someone who is Min-Maxing.

I haven’t played through he entire DLC yet, so I can’t speak to it. I’ve only dipped my toes in it at the moment and seen some of it. I haven’t actually actually been able to build one of the new weapons yet to even play with them.

Yeah, it was the same with X-Com: WOTC - you got Chosen weapons and a lot of people I know moved them around from soldier to soldier. In the Long War mod, you tended to have to do that too since you had to build every weapon with limited resources. I get where you are coming from and someone who wants the challenge of under-equipped soldiers going into combat is something I’m all for - but it certainly isn’t how I like to play. Micro-management isn’t either, but I’d rather do that then send under-equipped soldiers into the field to likely die lol.

[drages
Well hopefully it won’t come down to a full re-design, but it’s their game and they can do what they want. They should never have released it if that’s the case. that kinda 180 isn’t very fair to players either, because I’m sure not everyone hates the DLC.

Rainer
Early Second Month? man, I wish I could play at that speed and get things going that rapidly. But then, people play the game with different methods and different skill levels. I have a roommate who destroys me in Starcraft in 5 to 10 minutes, no matter how I try. By early 2nd Month, I barely have my 2nd crew working and haven’t gotten anything of importance going.

You either build the game to accommodate those players who master every facet of it, build it for the “average” masses or find some way to accommodate both playstyles.

Well keep in mind I haven’t gotten so far as to build one of these weapons - just build an Archeology Lab and capture a couple of sites. I haven’t had enough planes to mine more than 1 at a time, because I don’t steal aircraft or raid factions. I think it would take a long time and a lot of resources to give every soldier one. My goal would be to get 1 or 2 in each team I have.

I find it difficult to get 3 teams going and keep up with my resource needs. If there is some exploit to get infinite resources I don’t know it and trading for profit is tedious by having to move between all the faction bases and deal with haven attacks, base attacks, ambushes, etc.

X-com worked well with how it was designed and with the limitations it imposed. Especially for what it was and when it was made. The newer X-coms have done well also, IMHO. But those were simpler times too, compared to how things are now. We all had different mindsets back then. I actually seemed to be better at games like X-com back then, then now lol…but now I am pulled in 100 directions, even when I play so my attention is always quite divided.

I’ve never build any of the min-max terminators builds that people say dominate the game either. I just don’t play that way. I know when this game first released, people were dominating and destroying it…however it totally owned me, even on Rookie. I’d get a couple of months into the game and then the difficulty would ramp up so hard, I’d just wipe one team after another.

I do love to watch the plays of games like X-com on Ledengary difficulties on youtube though :slight_smile: I won’t ever be able to do that, but watching it happen is very cool.

I did the same. I am an average player who wants to enjoy the game. Like everyone, we got our own ideas and tastes. I do not hate LotA, I just say they could make it for fun and useful…

I just one main team and a second which I nearly do not use… I never liked to have multi-teams… It’s not my game style I think…