Is XCom 2: WOTC a good replacement for PP?

Small request… Can you assign at least Phoenix Point category to this topic? Pretty please.

Sure! This topic did got out of hand (in a good way), starting with some opinions on X2 and ending with deep reflections about fair earning for a creator’s job :smiley:

The Solomon Snuggery!!

Every base needs a good snuggery :slight_smile:

Of course only select personnel would be allowed entry, to get into it they’d have to have a copy of… Solomon’s Key.

B’dum!.. I’m here all week.

1 Like

Does that mean that JG is the TBS genre’s Yoda? :smiley:

This seems to be very common in the comics business, and it sucks. As far as XCOM went though, it is an old deal related to the financing of Apocalypse (sign over the rights to get funding and royalties on upcoming game), although this sounds like it was forced on them by Microprose (which, ironically, splintered one year later to produce Firaxis when Sid Meyer left)

Don’t forget it can also swing the other way, just like when the Witcher’s creator (A. Sapkowski, that I’m probably spelling awfully) refused CDPR’s offer of royalties on the Witcher video games, settling instead for a lump sum, realized his piss poor decision and came back asking for more a few months ago.

Hadn’t heard of this deal in the Witcher series, would have to know more to give an opinion. But as it stands, I’m just glad to see Julian getting the recognition he deserves, and the money to back that recognition

1 Like

DOOM is another example. The guy who created the iconic cover art forthe original game was offered royalties and instead chose the lump sum. And we know just how big that game went.

1 Like

Here’s a Eurogamer article. It opens with Andrej Sapkowski’s admission of his own stupidity (his words, not mine) :

“They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, 'No, there will be no profit at all - give me all my money right now! The whole amount. It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t.”

Didn’t know about this one, and I worked close to Id Software for a while. Royalties for a covert art sounds generous.

In these cases, and in the absence of more detailed info, I’d be tempted to say “tought luck” when creators are offered royalties and opt for the lump sum.

When it comes to convoluted cases like Alexey Pajitnov’s (creator of Tetris) who couldn’t collect royalties for a decade due to soviet laws, I’m a lot more sympathetic, although, since that time, I think he’s been milking his IP for all it’s worth, enforcing sometimes questionable cease & desist campaigns.

No argument here, Really hoping next BB will give us a better view of what’s been developed so far.

2 Likes

Eheheheh! Always loved that Starship Troopers “Would you like to know more?” tag. In fact, I have ben hoping that some kind of Arachnid would end up in PP. Just for fun :slight_smile:

And here stands one of the reasons why I think Jake Solomon is a great guy. He could have taken all the credit for FXCom, but he always claimed it was not his baby, even putting the Gollop chamber as a direct reference to the first designers. So many don’t get that.

He couldn’t foresee it despite he is Master of Economics. And he thought that computer games are for stupid people (i wonder if this is his belief even now). And he didn’t believe that someone could create good game based on his story and characters.

So CDP Red prooved him wrong doing hard work and creating whole new story happening after what is in the books. And they did great. Thanks to recognition of their game his books were translated to many other languages and began to sold worldwide instead of just Central and Eastern regions of Europe. Netflix signed now agreement with him to produce probably not a small series (some call it even Netflix’s Game of Thrones - but we will see - I doubt that it will be so good).

Now he comes back and want around $16 Milions from them… And unfortunately law allowes him to do that, so he probably will get some part of this claim. But well CDP Red aren’t poor guys and they still create good games in this universe. I’m playing Thronebreaker right now and after little boring tutorial and prologue it is getting better. Quite fine game as for card game. :wink:

Must have put over 500 hours into Xcom 2-WOTC. It’s good, but has only ever played second fiddle to the original UFO/Xcom. I am hoping that PP is going to be in the same spirit as those classics. I mean, here we have the original creator of UFO/Xcom, if he can’t do it, nobody can.

1 Like