Impressions about Festering Skies

For me, at present, it’s a failure, not so much for bugs but design decisions. Not being able to intercept craft in flight and only at poi’s, very simplistic click fest shoot down game, no discernible aircraft research. I feel it’s just a general let down, I’m glad I didn’t pay for it.

2 Likes

Same here. FS put the doom in doom counter! My strategy used to result in a comfortable 50+% population at the end, but now I’m in the upper 30s and this is only on Hero. Anu is building her temple and NJ wants some help, but Syn is below 18,000 pop with research times > 30 days. Does anything special happen if a faction is eliminated? The Behemoth invaded Africa destroying 2 more havens, but I’ve just finished shooting down all his flyers so that should be interesting. It took 9 aircraft to do this. Luckily all that happened during this stretch was that the Brazil base got attacked and the Ukraine base got bombard a bit by a corrupt NJ ship.

4 Likes

Nothing special, they are just eliminated from the game. I’ve done a very long run just to see what happens when I don’t go for an end, eliminating all pandoran bases as they arise and at the end ( short before losing by hit the doomsclock) NJ was completely away, Syn had 100 population because their haven with the end mission seems to be protected against attacks or starvation and Anu has “won” because of their incredible effective missionary temple (converting inhabitants of surrounding havens to the Anu haven with the temple).

Final population close before the losing condition hits the mark (old version some time ago on Veteran, so HPC <10%), in German language, but just for the numbers:

Fun fact (more likely pretty immersion braking and should not be possible), because I did the final NJ mission before they were down (otherwise they would also stick at 100 population with this one haven), I was still able to do their end and got this ending screen:

1 Like

Tbh, the minigame and aerial combat is the least interesting aspect of the DLC. It’s not terrible, but it isn’t very good. And if one comes with the expectation that FS will add that “missing layer from X-com”, it’s an overwhelming disappointment.

Having said that, on its own right I think it’s a good DLC. The Behemoth does add some pressure/threat and, it bears repeating, the new maps are really good.

4 Likes

Quick question do you lose the new maps if you untick FS at the start of a new campaign? I know PP was supposed to be a sandbox game, but I just feel that the addition of the aircraft minigame is so limited that in some ways it goes against the ethos of the main game. There is only one way to do it, no choice of actions with it. To be honest in the end I just used the autobattle button as I had no interest in the simplicity of the presented air battle game. Was expecting more considering the design decisions taken in the rest of PP.

1 Like

Unfortunately the news maps are connected to the FS content so you have to tick it to play them…

Hmm, I think there is at least a couple of approaches that work with the minigame. It is quite shallow, but e.g. you can go for the hull or the weapons, and IME for the first roaming it’s better to go for the hull and just use afterburner to dodge incoming attacks, because starting flyer weapons are visually guided.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies. They are appreciated👍

2 Likes

Thanks for the perseverance!

Google translates the NJ text to: “the faction was drawn”. What does “drawn” mean? It is just killed (as in “drawn and quartered”)?

More likely “the faction was wiped out” or “… defeated” :slight_smile:

You are lazy and a liar. Sorry, it is to quiet here and I have panicked. :man_shrugging:

So… what’s up? :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re a troll :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing serious, waiting for hotfix that should coming soon™ :wink:

1 Like

Eh, it is not the same anymore; thanks anyway for trying. :stuck_out_tongue:

But what if I would open new Return Fire topic? Would there be the will to talk about it like we did on Overwatch, or do we all need a break?

Edit: Ok, stupid question. Even I could use some peace a bit.

So, I just started a game with Festering Skies and was excited about some visual and interface improvements. Then I ran into The Gift mission and thought it was cool that I got an armed fighter out of it. I also saw the cool visual (comet) of the Egg coming in. So, as you know, right after The Gift mission, the Behemoth gets loose. It is already very close to a NJ base that I have already defended and traded with, so good relations. I had also finished a lair mission before The Gift mission, so it looked like I was off to a good start. I moved my Manticore to the NJ haven, thinking I would have a chance to intercept it or maybe keep it from destroying a haven I had good relations with. Keep in mind, this haven is the closest one to my base, so I was counting on keeping it from being destroyed from regular Panda attacks. So, the manticore is there and ready to stop or at least slow down the Behemoth. But no, I can’t find an option to attack it even when it is right over the haven. I am thinking I just don’t understand the interface, so looked around online. Nope, just can’t touch it, too bad, so sad. I am not a “rage quitter” but I must say I was bitterly disappointed. Of course, after looking online, I realize that is by design and instead I have to wait until “flyers” come out so I can kill enough of them the make the Behemoth go away for awhile. Even more frustrating is that I was already developing a strategy around the nearby bases and in this game it has already destroyed the two closest ones.
I want the new interface, I thought the game felt more balanced, it seemed there were many good changes, but the whole mechanics of the Behemoth just leave you frustrated, leaving you wondering what is going on.
Another frustrating issue is I have no idea how satellites and scanning work. Why?
Please, make this game better. It has all the makings of a fantastic game, but it leaves you frustrated at every turn.

In order to attack the big B one needs a.special aircraft that can be achieved later.

Very much this. Speaking of the Gift mission - you can take a vehicle with you, but there is no path for it (at least the game says there isn’t - might be able to break through some obstacles). If it’s like the Lair maps, just put a flavour text warning before deploy saying vehicles are not allowed or something.

There definetly is. However, because enemies count as obstacles even if unrevealed, it might appear as if there isn’t.

1 Like

A base with a Satellite Uplink facility will automatically, gradually reveal all points of interest within its range. Nothing else to it.

Also, if an attacking base is in the range, it will be revealed.

1 Like

If there is, it’s clearly not a very obvious one (had another look at my save game and can’t see how I can get a vehicle through without trial and error - and the turn times are so long that it’s not worth it). It’s like this mission is just begging you to cheese it with a single heavy and a jetpack.

The path with a vehicle is through a wooded area, IIRC, but enemies tend to spawn there.

Idk, I really like that mission.