Heaven defence trap

I can’t help, because I can’t load those saves

Its general issue, not specific. You cannot judge by info given, you have to go with strong squad and check. If you send mid squad or rookies based on info given, you are … PP Beta treated

Btw about ambushes.
With the last patch, I have not met yet.
One month went by of current playthrough. About 80% of points are open.
This is the first time I’ve seen this🤔

I have had the same experience

1 Like

I used your 2nd save from in the mission and have won it even with the 2 soldiers + Aspida left and already 3 soldiers lost.

• Moved the Aspida closer to the Assault
    Assault shots once with shotgun at Scylla and jumped into Aspida
    Heavy jet jumped away into save distance on a rooftop

• Enemy turn nothing essential happened, Scylla and some other enemies did nothing, except a Myrmidon that attacked a structure, spotted by the heavy. Looks like the ugly bug when reloading ingame mission :frowning:

• After that I concentrated to disable/paralyse the Siren to get the 2 MC’d Anu defenders out of business and maybe on my side. So Aspida closed in to him, Assault jumped out and head shot the Siren (not enough for disabling) and enters the Aspida ageain. Aspida did its paralyse attack, Siren has enough paralyse to be harmless. Meanwhile the Heavy shots the Myrmidon with not much damage, but this part is not important, he is still safe.

• Enemy turn, the Scylla jumped close and attacked the Aspida, nothing serious, all fine so far. Siren runs a bit away, MC’d defender comes closer and heals the siren (lol). Myrmidon jumped to the heavy and bites him, no problem, anything fine.

• Next turn, the same procedure, Assault jumped out of Aspida and disabled Sirens head → defenders are free, the one healing Berserker direct under control. Aspida fully paralysed the Siren, Zerker shoots twice with his pistol + Armor Break on Scyllas head. Heavy bashed Myrmidon to death.

• After that the Scylla attacked again the Aspida to low HP but it is still fine. All shoots at Scylla and then she retreats, mission done.

So it is winnable, even when I had to use the clownbus trick with the Aspida and Assault (leave vehicle, shoot, enter vehicle in one turn).

I think when I would go from start with all soldiers alive I would not need this trick to win.

It is a hard mission, but it is not unwinnable.

If you feel such a mission is too hard, then consider to go down with difficulty. It will not get easier for sure.

Hehehe! Good job! I expect this mission to be winnable. Yes. As you remember i do not use savegames to restart. I just pause for a moment and resume later on when i have an idea how to win the situation.

Did you win it without reloading? Or did you have to reload several times?
Do you think it is possible to capture the boss alive?

I say the there is still a bug with mission expected difficulty (medium) and local forces strength indication (9).

2 Likes

I don’t reload in missions in general (it is pretty messy and bugged anyways :wink: ), so in one go to the end :slight_smile:

Yes, there is something wrong with this indicator, medium should AFAIK not have Scyllas, but I’m not sure, maybe it is at a given point, it also depends on the rest of the enemies.

Were there more enemies before this save?

Looks weird, I know, but is currently no real bug, unfortunately.

1 Like

What version of game have you used?

1 Like

The newest one on Steam

1 Like

7 vs 9 is just an geoscape indicator when combat will be finished and not accessible. It doesn’t mean that forces participating will be so low. If whole mission started with values of for example 18 vs 20 then probably Scylla can be expected.

I go out but later I will check autosave.

1 Like

It doesn’t mean that forces participating will be so low.

Yes but it should have at least some comparability of local and attacking forces if i see 9 local 8 attacking otherwise tactical mode and strategic modes are completely uncorrelated. Like if i brought one transport to the scene but disembarked from the other (ie strategic mode not correlated). This is a tactical briefing screen. It is ok to see some info of local and attacking forces. There are some values that pretend to show exactly that. Why we have this values there? I don’t see why do we see irrelevant strategic counters in a tactical mission briefing disguised as tactical counters?

Well i’ve accomplished this mission too with only heavy soldier left.
My assault was inside of vehecle but he could not get out because he got out of willpoints. Probably mist reduced his WP when he was inside of the vehicle (unsatisfying) and he died together with vehicle.

One heaven defender ran away with full hp after i have freed him from the mind controll.

1 Like

Well, each haven has a military strength value.

Military strength is population/1000, rounded up. +4 from Training Facility, +2 from nearby Haven with Training Facility.

So that gives you the defense value.

The Pandoran attack value seems to be within a RNG that scales with type of Pandoran base from which the attack is coming (so lower attack value from Nests, higher from Citadels).

So what do you think should set the difficulty of the mission? How high the value of the attack is, or how big the difference is between the attack and the defense values? Should the difficulty of the mission change depending on when PX intervenes?

1 Like

No, it should realistically indicate you what Panda force is there (defenders are less relevant) so you send a proper squad. It should be fixed value and should not scale to squad you sent. You cant have both inputs.

Currently I judge by level of Panda evolution what is overall strenght of their forces. If you dont train fast enough, mid to end game you will be scr … d because you wont be able to mostly respond properly.

And haven defence is not only vital to resources and diplomacy, but to discovering enemy base and advancing game. So major probs here stalls overall game.

It doesn’t. No mission scales to the squad you send.

Ok still presented values are untrue.

Bug or intended behaviour?

So what do you think should set the difficulty of the mission? How high the value of the attack is, or how big the difference is between the attack and the defense values? Should the difficulty of the mission change depending on when PX intervenes?

I think the attack force value should actually represent attack force weight and defenders on the battlefield should have more or less exactly the same weight as shown for defenders. Attack force strength can be increased +2 compared to the current values to make it exceed defense strength. But defenders should be able to overcome the attackers with the same frequency as now.

Another thing can be if defenders force is relatively big than if player arrives 1/3 of this force can be stashed in reserve. Player can ask for reserve drop during the mission but than he looses 2/3 of the reward.

Interesting interpretation. Never thought of it this way. I just assume that when I go to the mission and geoscape says me defenders strength is 15, attacker strength is 1 (so just before the missions time out) I still expect to meet there Pandorans forces that exhibit a treat for my soldiers and only few local defenders.

But I suppose that Snapshot should remove that strength comparison and just give timer with estimated mission timeout to not mislead people who believe in numbers too much.

Probably counter was set to represent some damage to local population, to better represent battling forces and how haven can overcome enemy. It probably was never meant to represent true strength of forces, which player will encounter while deploying there. But it stayed that way since first iterations of the game.

I think mission should become unavailable if defenders’ force exceeds attacking ~2.1 to 1. Ie attack repulsed (like it is a daily situation when one or two crabs are crawling from sewerage but that is not a massive attack anymore so no more interest for phoenix or anyone). But the period of time, that mission is available should be the same as now.

Just start a bit more negative than now and balance a bit longer with negative value. After a while have a chance to add some positive number to the fight to preserve current win/loss ratio.

I have learned to deal with it in a different, and I guess non-canonical, way. I just refuse to see PP as dozen (or two) of soldiers, because it doesn’t make much sense :stuck_out_tongue:. So I have assumed that I play just a part of larger battle (and if I win, everyone wins, and if not “something somewhere” turned the tide of battle). It isn’t the best, but I have my own narrative to fill the lore gaps. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like