Feedback Suggestion: Reduce Accuracy, Add Fire Modes

Don’t go crazy, it all depends on the point of view. There is such an interesting animation, as if this helmet performs calculations to help in the shot.

So, computers powered by human sanity? Human fear? It’s equivalent to one of your friends dying, so if the game’s lore had computers powered by energy from your very mortal soul, that might make sense. In reality, it’s just a poorly thought out gimmick.

Low accuracy and firing mods do not make a game a clone of UFOD. Research, fighting alien terror missions, building bases around the globe, and various other details DO make this a clone, or rather an example of the genre.

It’s far more frustrating to have cover be useless in combat, when cover is the cornerstone of squad tactics. If you want to hit your enemies, use aimed shots from reasonable range. Automatic fire from across the map should not be accurate.

All depends on the point of view
The augmented reality is displayed on the helmet display, controlling your gaze you lose concentration and weaken the connection with reality. For example :nerd_face:

Specifically, my point of view on balance was here

In the current game, there is no way to make “Legend without SuperHeroes” so as not to break the content for the mass player. And this is a problem that should be discussed, IMHO.

That explanation doesn’t sound connected to reality. If you need to work out an explanation THAT convoluted, you have a bug, not a feature. Unless the feature is working out complex reasoning for absurd features (Return Fire fans certainly have).

The current balance is one broken system trying to counteract another broken system, thus creating an even worse mess. Everyone from beginners to veterans are complaining about it, for that reason.

1 Like

I will take a break from our discussion.

It’s no problem, no need to ask permission. People can come and go as they like. Plus, Christmas is coming up. No one is going to have time for this. Even the Devs need to have Christmas, instead of worrying about the game.

Here is the thing: firing modes already exist: they are called weapon types! They are distributed in pretty much similar way to how UFO firing modes would work.

Edit: reducing accuracy won’t change anything - the fight will simply take place on shorter distances. Add aiming system, and things will go back to normal, with a regular use or aimed shot. That’s the “downside” of predictable hit system: you will always operate on distances were you will hit reliably - both for player and enemies.

That’d only make sense if you could carry three or four weapons with you. In UFOD, if you had a rifle, you could use burst fire at close range, snap and regular shots at mid range, and aimed shots at long range. One soldier has three ranges of engagement, with three unique sets of characteristics.

In PP, you use ONE type of shot at ONE range.

No, that would clearly only happen some of the time. If you get close to the enemy, he is close to you. If you can shoot him in the head, he can shoot you in the head. Sometimes that suits you, if you can overwhelm them suddenly. Other times, you will prefer long-ranged skirmishing and suppressing fire.

Would it? Outside sniper rifle, weapons are ineffective at long range. Yet, my guess would be that you come closer to take a shot. I am convinced same would happen if accuracy would be reduced - ammo is to valuable to waste it like that, and it’s better to cripple the enemy, then let him come closer and take a shot. With dash getting in and out is not a problem (which is a problem within itself but there was enough said about it already).

As to limiting amount of weapons one can carry: that’s very much intentional. Not every soldier is do be effective at different range of engagement. In UFO that was determined by more gradual character stats - characters with high aim were likely to stay in the back and use aim shots, character with lots of AP would come close and use autoshots etc. In FiraXCOM and PP it’s determined by class and equipment.

Ammo is cheap, carry a few extra clips (yeah, I call them clips, so come at me magazine-fanboys). Right-arm sniping is another bug of the game, but reducing accuracy would help as it makes it harder and more risky to perform the exploit.
Certainly, my suggestions for fixes won’t cure secondary bugs. If Dash is dumb, reducing accuracy doesn’t necessarily fix that.

In UFOD, or its spiritual successor Xenonauts, you tend to give sniper rifles to your most accurate troops, and shotguns to your least accurate. ARs are cool in that they have the most dynamic range of any weapon. Still, skeet shooting with shotguns is a thing, so variable fire ranges still exist.

1 Like