I love it, and I love the idea of it, and I really enjoy playing with it.
I would kind of like to see more circles, though… and also, I’d personally order the colours in such a way
as to look intuitive–at least for me–with purples, reds, and oranges, denoting the inner-most areas, which would hopefully represent higher damage, along with possible bleeds.
I don’t think that the current scheme is quite user-friendly enough, and. I think that more circles would help
me to line up shots, a little better.
I’d like to see circles like the current “bullseye” configuration, only with more circles, going–from innermost colour to outermost: Purple, Orange, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue. (With Magenta reserved for possible “bulls-eye” shots, which I’d only have appear, in certain cases where the accuracy of the shot was unusually high.
With each circle denoting an approximate chance of a number of bullets hitting within that area–everything being equal–this would give approximately an approximately 15% chance, per circle, with 10% left over, representing bullets going wide of the mark.
Perhaps with high accuracy, close range, and/or the right (sniper rifle, etc.) weapon, a percent-chance of scoring a Bullseye (Magenta!), would appear, with each off-colour (starting again from Purple to Blue), representing a percentage to miss the bullseye, but still hit that particular colour-denoted portion of the target.
The different colours could then be used to represent Criticals–which I think would be very cool.
The colours could also be used to progressively scale up the damage that certain weapons did, The “higher” the colour that an individual bullet hits, the more damage that individual bullet could then do, both minimally and maximally, and this could be directly linked to the specific type of weapon, and the specific type of ammunition that it was firing.
I think that you could get some very unique and interesting tactical choices and results out of such a system–and also, that someone smarter about firearms than I am, could use that to model a bunch of interesting guns, that all felt and operated differently from one-another.
As far as Criticals: Scoring a hit in the “Green” or “Blue” range, could represent a glancing shot, for only a small amount of damage. Yellow would represent standard damage, Orange would give you a small chance for a Crit, while Red would give you a higher chance for a Crit, and hitting Purple would give you an automatic Critical.
Finally, weapons that could hit Magenta, would give you an automatic Crit, with a chance for a Super-Crit, with maybe the added possibility of an automatic part-disablement on non-Boss enemies, and maybe even the chance of an automatic kill, on weaker “Crab-man”-level mobs.
Critical hits could then also be elaborated on, with some only representing maximum damage, while others might do an increased range of damage (regular shots might do 1-3 points of damage, while crits might do 2-4 or 3-5 or 1-6, for instance–again, depending on weapon and ammunition types), while some weapons might have a chance to do unusual types of damage, like cause Stunning or other afflictions.
Some weapons might also have a chance of causing specific types of Crits, to specific body-parts. For example: A shotgun that shoots lead shot might have a 25% chance to cause Blindness, on a critical head-shot, while the same gun, shooting dragons-breath rounds, might increase that chance to 75%, and maybe add a chance to set the target on fire, but have that chance vary, depending on which part of the body is Critted.
The current binary scheme…I’m glad to have it, but it just doesn’t seem like it’s quite enough…