Every arthron can be an umbra?

Just restarted a Veteran a few days back.

1 Like

It would be interesting to see Screen Shots, or Video of that happening. Please do keep us all posted on the results. :smiley:

I concur : I find different Arthrons having the Tar Shadow ability makes for pretty interesting choices. In fact, I wonder what would happen if I found several of them at once : I might have to pull back, regroup, change my tactics… I like that.

1 Like

Yes, links the time I ran into 3 of them in a nest.

Pictures or Video please. In over 250 hours of play, I haven’t run into this issue yet. :open_mouth:

Have you seen the Cloud Tower that has the Shadow tag on it yet? Haven’t seen them come back from the dead so far, and I hope they never do. :eyes:

Haven’t seen any “non-arthron” resurrect yet, but Umbras might read this thread : just after I mentionned it, two of them came at me at the same time. One got “half-smart” and run away rather than into 6 overlaped OWs. Sadly for him, he didn’t run far enough and got sniped first thing next turn (his buddy got “turreted” to death).
Now, I wonder about Tar Shadow Siren (don’t mind me, just testing a theory, here)…

1 Like

:eyes:[quote=“Wenlock, post:27, topic:11762”]
Now, I wonder about Tar Shadow Siren (don’t mind me, just testing a theory, here)…
[/quote]
:scream: Noooooo! Now you have me terrified. Because I seen that 3/4 Moon, Tar Symbol on one of them a couple times! :see_no_evil:

I think Sirens can prepare other abilities, since that almost full circle icon means “You’ll see next turn” (Sentinels and quite a few others have it). Of course, you can check in the Infos what they’re up to (“I’ll hatch every egg ! _You’re being unreasonable : let’s kill you now.”).
And, really, I’d like to see a Tar Shadow Siren : I usually kill them in one turn, I’m curious to know if I can kill them twice, and how pretty they’ll look in purple (golden “Armis” are pretty snazy : I captured one just to look at it in Confinement).

:astonished::eyes:

I guess you’d like to see a Shadow Scyla & maybe even a Shadow Cyclops too? :+1::clap::rofl:

how would it be different from its original form? both are melee, umbra doesnt have any other abilities just melee strikes… no armor whatsoever… if anything, Umbra is much easier to kill than regular late game Athron…

I don’t like that ability as it is currently implemented. It’s really a pain to have to deal with instant resurrecting arthrons. Been facing them in a haven defense and trying to protect structures while keeping distance from the bastards so they don’t cripple or kill anyone on their second life is frustrating. Worst, we can do nothing to prevent them respawning, so if one of our guys is stuck in range of one we can almost expect to lose him. They can get killed by overwatches but that’s not always practical to do.

There are ways to prevent them respawning - try paralyzing or mind controlling the original arthron instead of killing it. You can also kill it with fire, it seems to not spawn with the umbra when you do this, although I think it must die from the fire damage.

Nice to know, but some clue about this in-game would have been nice.

Sure, I agree. It’s a new mechanic, maybe they’ll introduce more help dialogue later on.

[quote=“sectoid_br, post:33, topic:11762”]You can also kill it with fire, it seems to not spawn with the umbra when you do this, although I think it must die from the fire damage.
[/quote]
As long as it’s on fire, others can kill it with other weapons and it won’t form the Tar Shadow.

not really… it has to die from fire… if you kill it with any other weapon while on fire, it will still spawn Umbra. (I just tried it)

that is not my experience with Umbra and corrupted Copy trhough Tar Shadow ability

If the Umbra is in flames when I kill it, Corrupted Protean Mutane copy never spawns

but you killed it with fire grenade…

but I did not, Sniper/infiltrator used a Crossbow, watch the end of the clip

full video here: