Enemy unit count overwhelming

I’ve forced myself to use only a single dash per turn and it’s more enjoyable.

1 Like

You get more soldier capacity later on, and to be honest, with the current balance isn’t even a problem. It’s just annoying and tedious imo.

I’m playing on the lowest difficulty and still getting tactical maps with 2 to 3 times more enemy than I have…and they zerg…and hide behind shields…and my nice Phoenix Force uniforms end up with Pandaran footprints all over them and my troops are a thin red film on the soles of clawed feet.

Difficulties aren’t implemented yet. All of them run the same game. :wink:

Kinda hard to make tactical decisions when your getting constantly flanked and outgunned, and when your stuck super accurate enemies (tritions) it kinda sucks

Focus on disabling their weapon limbs. Snipers, any weapon with Quick Aim, grenades and grenade launcher are good for this. Quick Aim stacks, if you use it multiple times you can hit a coin across whole map. Assaults shouldn’t waste their ammo shooting at shields, shoot at them using Overwatch and try to position yourself such that enemy has to run from left to right - if they run right to left, shield still covers them.

1 Like

We’re playing on a limited scale so far. If it’s correct that game allocates enemies based on a points system then yes we are going to get swarmed more in the backer builds because there aren’t a lot of high costed aliens around.

The same mission in the full release might be a couple of high costed, high hit points nightmare stomp on you until you cry like a baby aliens. Maybe all those Tritons get replaced by a couple of melee blue whales.

I dont find the tactical game difficult; i’m struggling a bit, more than a bit to be honest, with the strategic layer, but the tactical part once you learn to dash is fairly easy, at least for someone that played some hundred hours in game like XCOM and expecially the university of those games: Long War

Overwatch is your friend and the grenade launche your lover; if you dont feel cheatin spam dash and quick aim and every fight, including sirens, the worst alien i found till now, will become a stroll in the park.

1 Like

If you have the right guy, these enemies are easy to kill. Try a level 7 assault with dashing, rapid clearance, no action points for accessing his inventory, a shotgun and his inventory full of shotgun ammo. The assault needs to have at least will 8. You start your turn with rapid clearance and then with dash you hop to the next triton, kill him, get +3 will for the kill, so you can dash to the next triton, rince and repeat. I have killed with 1 assault 20 tritons in turn 2 this way. Actually this guy is making more than 80% of my kills, so yes, the game is becoming a bit boring. The only way to deal with this amount of enemies is using exploits like infinite rapid clearance + dash.

I personally feel like those overwhelming amounts of enemies are in proper place. Atacking nest should be a almost suicide mission. Main story quests as well, like they are if You try Leroy Jenkins with two assaults and no support on place. I am playing on hardest difficult and no casualties as well. Move carefully and make sure you have support on place, explosives are weak but they will save Your life by getting rid of limbs and equipment.
Scarab is great for cleaning nests, no need to move him anywhere and what I noticed it will show You hatching pods locations if You have it with You. Also Scarab mortar is very effective.

1 Like

I agree it is getting out of control here now, I just got ambushed on a map with 20 snipers 6 worms, 8 face sucking aliens and they dropped me in an open field and completely surrounded and NO cover at all… Even with dash I could not get to cover because not all my men have this! Each man took out two each first round and when it was there turn I lasted about 3 seconds with all the snipers just shooting fish in a barrel. I just started another level and 20 snipers with 250 health self healing, invisibility and smoke on a very small map full of buildings. They all let their smoke out and the map was unplayable after that, you shoot one one it becomes invisible and sits in the smoke and heals itself. ridiculous at present with only 6 men and always fighting for materials there is no joy or sense of achievement, would not be s bad if you could actually afford anything except replacing what you just used to get the materials you came for! The balance is certainly not here just yet, this has the potential to be something amazing but it still has a lot of work needed. Reduce the amount of aliens, mix them up and allow us to do the research and have enough materials available to actually get the recruits, build the bases, and try new weapons ect… Right now it is just a progressive battle to just replace what you use in the battle and nothing else… Sorry!

2 Likes

It can always get worse

1 Like

WOW it can…:slight_smile: It is just to crazy right now which is a pity as it is a brilliant game! To have this many aliens on the map as it is way to small with no room to move. But the frog men are the worse they spit that smoke and go invisible which just makes it irritating not challenging! Anyway, lets hope they fix it soon!

I see a lot of grenades there and a lot of panic. :smiley: But fight shouldn’t be based on this one tactic. :frowning:

2 Likes

Tbh, I feel the “overwhelming” amount of enemies acts against the pandorans. I’m finding the game too easy with the max level squad… as @toongeorges already said an assault armed with a shotgun with the abilities dash, rapid clearance & ready for action can seriously clean out a map on turn 1. Or at the very least can send the aliens into a panic spiral. Even enemies with high will like Sirens. I’d honestly prefer less enemies that are a bit tankier tbh. Or the majority of enemies should spawn in as reinforcements rather than be present on the map. Either would be better…
The game certainly still has a lot of balancing to do.

This is why I love getting shotgun expert on a sniper :slight_smile:

OK. got 3 Chirons active on the first turn, and 8+ enemies right where I start (in sight). any idea how to handle that without abusing the system? :smiley:

• 3 Chirions
  • 2 Sirens
  • 4 Tritons
  • 10 Arthron

And that was just what I saw on the right side of map, there were some more.

It’s going to depend on your class mixes.

Assault-Heavy is a nice combo… dash boom blast and hit the lot with 2 grenades.
Assault Sniper - dash - quick move fire shotgun…QM fire QM fire QM fire…I wonder if QM throw grenade works too?
Berserker - Heavy is evil at level 7 -if you are close enough you do the adrenal rush (all skills cost 1AP) and fire your grenade launcher 4 times.

A rocket…the AoE is big enough to hit around 70% of that lot.

I’ve trimmed my loadouts…shotguns on assault, at least 4 grenade launchers and it’s rolling barrage time…dash and booom,

Don;t try to kill them all, just nail a few and let the rest panic…next turn nail a few and let the test panic. I’ve managed a couple of missions where they have not fired a shot in response :slight_smile:

Machine Gun and Cannon are a waste of time unless you are point blank so save your strength.

1 Like

wait until you hit a haven defense mission with more than 50 aliens.

Herb (aka XCOMDOS)