So here is an Idea that has been touched in other posts, but hopefully not in this way.
The way factions and diplomacy work in the game is a bit static and disappointing for me.
Here is a proposal I think would improve the game:
- The strength of a faction in a haven attack should better reflect the units that faction deploys in battle.
- Factions in conflict attack each other’s havens when their diplomatic relations are bad enough.
- Factions can not only destroy other faction’s havens, but can also conquer them. The player can help the attacker or the defender, changing the landscape and receiving diplomacy favor or penalty accordingly.
- If the player has diplomatic relations with the two factions, the player can also intercede with the attacking faction and convince the attacker to abandon their attack (paying them resources), improving the relation of the player with both factions and the relation between them.
- A faction can help defending the heaven of another faction from an attack of a common enemy (Pandorans or a third faction that they hate more). Diplomacy relationships on both factions would improve after a successful defense. The player can help with the defense (or the attack) and receive a bonus too.
- The player can try to bribe a faction to attack a haven or defend it from an upcoming attack.
- Factions are able to better repair their facilities and recover some strength, or ask other factions for resources to help them in the repairs in exchange for favor.
- The player can help havens asigning soldiers as garrison (improving the strength), and donating/trading resources to help them prosper.
Of course some balance would be needed, to prevent player from being capable of keeping all havens alive or ally all factions. But I think the game would be much more interesting as a result.
What do you think?