What Self-Restrictions do you Use?

This could be interesting …

Most campaigns I played on Veteran because I don’t like the whole pace of the game and I know it ramps up on higher difficulties. I beat it 2 times on Hero and once on Legendary some time ago but I didn’t really liked it, not because it was too hard but because I felt stressed with even more haven defences and Pandoran base destructions. I don’t know how often I won it on Veteran but it was pretty often, since LotA DLC at least 2-3 times. After my last campaign (I wrote about it here in the Forum) I started just today with the new patch a new one, this time again on Hero.

Now my own restrictions:

• Classes, Skills, Combos:

• No restrictions, anything goes and I use anything what the game has.
    • But I don’t use any bugged mechanics and also no weapons without proficiency (Destiny)
  • Squads: not more than 5 members per squad but I fill aircrafts up with vehicles:

• Manticore - 3 soldiers and 1 vehicle (right from the start I build as first a Scarab)
    • Helios - 5 soldiers, rarely 2 soldiers and 1 vehicle
    • Thunderbird - 4 soldiers and 1 vehicle, but I use it very rarely
    • Tiamat - … I simply don’t use it, just too slow
  • Diplomacy, Faction interaction:

• I mostly go with all factions, so at this point no restrictions.
    • No resource raids, no aircraft and research stealing.
    • No abuse of sabotage, but I’m not that strict at this point. but rarely more than one, often even none (like the last one).
    • No abuse of constantly trading, but I trade when I really need resources

That’s it and I still have fun to just rumble over the enemies with my somehow small squads, but I also don’t expect any challenge with long tactical fights or something similar.

This game is for me a playground to try out anything that is possible with this, in my opinion, basically fantastic open sandbox class, skill and weapon system. It has more of an character based strategy game with a turn based combat system, like some RPGs, than a real TBS game like the old xcoms.
I also don’t longer expect much more than this, except to balance at least some of the most OP things and, for me way more important, to get the stupid pace tuned down.

1 Like