I never played that long another similar game, it’s saying a lot.
In other similar game I’m bored faster usually, I don’t finish too long campaigns the boredom comes before, almost always I tend extend a campaign and it ends with too long campaign that becomes tedious, replays don’t work for too many campaigns.
Not in this game, my combats feel so different, it’s also because I use multiple teams and each have a different design, but also there’s something in enemies generation, that makes combats more diversified even if variations of maps could be better on various aspects, including visual themes, layout types, special missions maps, more.
My opinion is also that if you don’t abuse of some OP holes, the tactical depth and diversity is very high. As balances aren’t fully tuned, and there’s OP holes, this topic is complex, but myself that’s how I feel the game. A part of this is it brings new topics on the table, like air bombard, return fire, ballistic system, sounds detection, more sophisticated enemy control system of soldiers, more.
That said, there’s many problems, for example:
- You can scrap items to get some more, never do it of you’ll have a high chance to trigger severe equipment problems.
- In a campaign, the mission to allow progress relationship with a faction didn’t spawned. I didn’t considered it game breaking but certainly some players would.
- Have low hope to play with living weapons (a bonus, probably not available in all game versions) myself missions to get them never spawned and I only got a living armor set.
- You can’t rebind keys and if you use a lot keys when playing such game be ready to use some tools as autohotkey (For Mac check Karabiner).
- UI has many good points but also a significant amount of missing features and some wrong designs as right click used to cancel or close but in a few contexts in combats it move the soldier without confirmation.
- There’s a sort of auto scaling system, that is the difficulty is dynamically increased according to various parameters not documented, this is special but also the system can derail.
- Some more.
But yeah despite all the problems, those and more, for me it’s still a lot of fun, for a long time, and ok some raging too but it’s not clues of a bad game.