Retreat area position

And what if between your position and retreat area are two arthrons and siren. Even with all AP in move you can’t reach retreat area in time. What ever you do you lose. Very bad game design for tactical game imo.

If I understood you correctly you say that you can’t get scyla or exploding chiron in early game when your tam is lvl 5. In my experience you can.

Spawn point are never on the evac side, anyway an evac doesn’t mean no problem to manage. An evac call with 2 turns wait (which is very very short) can generate problems to manage too. There’s lairs special case but they need a deep re design.

Bombard Chiron, woo, looks more like a bug. For Scylla it’s more possible, not sure it’s intended design.

This is more a problem than the evac. About bombard Chiron the point isn’t to kill them at first turn but exploit covers working.

I got that. My soldiers (lvl 5 mainly) were in the center of the map. Two arthrons and siren between starting position end evac zone, scyla on the other side very close to my troops. After that massacre I quited my first campaign.

My mistake for that. I never got Exploding Chiron in early game, just Scyla. I used “or” in my statement…

… which was not very clear.

Ironman first play, that’s ambitious. Myself I hadn’t such case, if it’s not lair, I just don’t move forward fast, and then it can hardly happen. That said, I can evac a soldier or two, but the whole squad was only to retreat from a Lair.

Failed badly

My first layer I tried 3 times in a row, also lvl 5 team. I spend most ammo and then retreat to get more. After third time I got that haven defense mission (near the same lair) where I quited.

That is the main problem because I started this tread. If I move forward fast that is my mistake, I have no problem with that. But my soldiers were spawned in desperate position on mission start with no chance to even retreat. With that I have a problem.

Ok your opinion, but you screwed bad, reload and learn play better before to play ironman.

For Lairs, my opinion is skip them as much than possible or use some exploit to beat them.

I don’t see why your experience is a clue to change evac. Currently you don’t start at evac but know where it is apart for ambushes. You can play accordingly. Lairs is eventually the exception, but Lairs need a large change and re design.

That’s exactly where we don’t agree. Imo I didn’t screwed up, it is bad game design. Even more it is bad game design in two ways. First, as a new player I wanted to scout situation to see what extreme mission looks like and retreat at first sign of trouble. Game didn’t let me do it so it is bad design. Second, if I as a new player have to have prior knowledge to successfully play the game on normal difficulty it is also bad game design.

In my second playtrough I found out how to beat lairs. One 75% stealth infiltrator and lot of snipers as support done the trick. Only exploit I have used was not to kill enemies but to disable them so new ones never respawn.

You look at it as evac. I look at it as landing area / evac area. Let’s agree to disagree on this one.

Ok to agree to disagree on all points.

I don’t think the disarm trick works.

Right this should work even with Chiron, it’s neither too fast nor too slow, and I bet you use quite a lot Invisible anyway. I struggled too much with it, in fact even had more troubles with the team than the Infiltrator. At Easy/Normal, you can just ignore once you did the quest goal. At Legend it feels a bit more unpleasant to ignore. I think I’ll try another probably much faster exploit, perhaps Infiltrator/Heavy/Jetpack/High WP/Shotgun skill/Shotgun shredding armor.

I use one 75% infiltrator per team. I used 100% stealth infiltrator only in two missions, in final mission and in one mission to steal tech. Have cleared 4-5 lairs (every I found). Though on easy difficulty.

Mmm eventually I could try the infamous stealth 100% with lairs. But I need a recruit with the skill and class that would fit. That said point blank he can use as well a weapon without the proficiency.

Why would you like shredding armour vs Spawnery? You can always get down into the pit to shoot the body which has 0 armour with Iconoclast. Before Spawnery buff it guaranteed a kill in 2 shots.

Mmm before the no armor part could be aimed without jumping down, I didn’t bother check by jumping down.

It’s like the eggs, I don’t remind they was here before, it also didn’t make appealing to jump down in case they open.