Phoenix Point is a bit of a misnomer

It isn’t, many people don’t care for lore

I see all this as a positive for PP. I’m glad its not just a straight FirXcom clone.

Its OK not to like something. Plenty of people don’t find it boring and enjoy the strategy required to play it.

Nobody here is arguing the fun of the strategic parts of the game. Just from the perspective of “we’re here to save the planet”, the whole thing doesn’t make much sense. Phoenix Point is essentially useless. We have to borrow or steal our tech from all the other factions, who are ALL better equipped to handle a viral alien threat than we are. We bring literally NOTHING to the table. We roam around uncovering past Phoenix Project files and information, and play politics with all the other factions so we can actually have some firepower to take out the aliens.

It just doesn’t feel like we are a rising force to be reckoned with. Feels more like we’re scrambling to borrow technology and resources so we don’t suck so damn bad.

3 Likes

I get that all the uncovered bases are ghost bases with facilities that no longer function and need to be brought online, but the base we start with has to be staffed by someone. Who’s doing the research? Who’s manufacturing the new equipment. Even if you have machines doing the majority of the work, man builds machine. Man inputs the data. It’s US who run the machines, not the other way around.

Give me a team of scientists, and a better research tree with actual technology to uncover and even potentially trade with other factions.

I dunno man, make me feel like we are actually building an organization that is a rising force to be reckoned with. Because as it is, the OP is right, the Phoenix Point organization is just sort of meh. Without the other factions we’d be dog shit.

2 Likes

The Phoenix Project is literally the three soldiers in the tutorial. They find the automated base by following the automated message and then press all the buttons. When they haul in a corpse they throw it in the lab and click the big button that makes the lab work, then wait for the computer to print out an analysis.

5 Likes

Which quite frankly is exactly the problem. These dudes could have had nothing to do with the original project and just stumbled upon the base by accident, and it would make absolutly no difference for the game or story.

1 Like

not sure what your point is, are you debating how I feel about it. Do you just want to live in an echo chamber of what you feel. The game needs fixing.

I can’t stop laughing, this is so mediocre

I agree that not having our own research cuts right at the core of what makes an XCOM game. And, PP does have grounds to recruit own guys (the kind we started the game with) and not have to recruit only from facs. Also, PP obviously have tech, in the form of the best heavy canoon in the game etc, player should be able to pursue a line of research along that line or along the living guns line.

In fact, neither of the above makes facs any less valuable to PP so I really don’t understand why its not in the game.

3 Likes

+1 This topic needs to be considered by the developers. Phoenix Point is completely reliant on the factions. Which I think is a weakness. I understand wanting to provide the player a reason/incentive to ally with one of the factions.

Load screen even tells us that most of the “interesting” technology is with the factions.

But Phoenix Point should have their own stuff beyond empty bases and needing the factions for tech and recruits.

I don’t see a way to play this game without recruiting from the 3 factions.

1 Like

Yes, we should be able to send out the AI scarab to recruit more people organically and that does not conflict with recruiting from havens since facs give different kind of soldiers.

2 Likes

You don’t like the game, I do. Both are valid ways to feel about the game. Objectively this game isn’t boring without substance or disengaging. Its just not what you want it to be. That’s fine. I’m happy to follow the developers vision for this game.

After “not sure what your point is” part you are just waffling and has no bearing on any point I was making.

You pretty much summed up my exact feelings regarding the Phoenix Projects role in the game as it stands at the moment. And it certainly does feel like either the developers did a massive 180 at some stage and decided to reconceptualise the whole Phoenix Project idea, or there is much they had intended to have included that simply didn’t make the ever pushed back deadline.

I can only hope that one or more of the later planned expansions to the game give Snapshot a chance to re-examine the Phoenix Project as a entity and how it exists in the game and delve into it properly.

At the moment, there isn’t really a Phoenix Project entity in the game as Snapshot themselves have established it in the lore, as there is more a mercenary company that decided to take over one of their old bases and decide to loan out their resources to whatever organisation is interested in their services whilst searching for more abandoned bases to squat in.

4 Likes

I actually think that this game is probably a Phoenix Point PREQUEL. In that as mentioned in the beginning of the game, the Phoenix Project has actually already failed so there really isn’t any phoenix point in this game at all. One AI scarab picked up a random soldier and a few randos here and there and sends them to an abandoned pheonix point base and from there, they start to look into the history of how and why phoenix project fell and why the pandoravirus came about. As such, in this prequel, there is actually NO phoenix project and PP2 or an expansion will bring us back or forward to the time where the Phoenix Project actually runs like it should.

5 Likes

That’s a good point!

I think you are quite close to the truth :wink:
This game is called Phoenix POINT, which could be a prequel to Phoenix PROJECT ‘rebirth’.
Like you all mentioned before WE are not a PP members, as we are not ‘band of nerds with guns’. We are soldiers who discover abandoned Phoenix Project base and we are far far away from Phoenix Project glory.
So IMHO we are demoted from a shadow cabinet who can solve world problems, to a fourth faction, who is only smart enough to see a bigger picture and by using other faction resources and combined research projects, save the world at the end.

4 Likes

Agree, one thing that I found interesting is that in the trailer, there is that suggestion that Phoenix Point was on the moon (or it looks like it made it there, given the geodesic dome). As more Phoenix Point bases are uncovered, the strength of their technology, AI, access to secret codes, medicines or perhaps things that were part of the prior military industrial complex including NASA, stealth satellites, etc. should become available.

I always saw them as a special arm of the UN that had support from everywhere, and sure, it failed, but what IF there was support from elsewhere e.g. “we made it Mars” or the International Space Station, that had grown to a scale where humans could live for decades in space, and they were waiting for signals from the U.N. / NASA / or Phoenix Point to “engage” and support a group that was there to fight for all humanity.

I’ve purposely held off playing, because I’ve been waiting for the balance updates and changes, maybe even the DLCs. I might play some more today to get some time in and see where it’s at with the hotfix, but I would love that notion that the portfolio of the Phoenix Project with it’s own AI technology has the ability to persevere and lead all the other factions and unite the nations of the earth to destroy the real enemy, the rampant seafood!

OH! YOU ARE RIGHT! This game is called Phoenix Point as named after the first abandoned based found by the soldiers! It is not the Phoenix Project! This is the first part in the rebirth of the Phoenix Project! :slight_smile: PP2 could see a more conventional approach to repelling an interstellar threat… perhaps on that moonbase they spoke of?

3 Likes

Some great ideas here. The idea that PP is actually not about the management of the Project but in essence a prequel to how it was reborn fits lore wise. Game play wise let’s hope Julian and his team can rethink the game and give the PP faction (us) for of its own feel, tech, etc…

2 Likes