Phoenix Point in Xbox game pass?

I am super excited to see this come to Game Pass and console! Was a highlight announcement from E3 for me.

1 Like

Beyond parity, there are many things that mean multi platform releases may or may not hurt a PC product. You have to account for general game design and user behavior. a console gamer archetype sits on a couch far from the screen and a PC gamer sits at a desk, probably a bit too close to the screen for their own eyes. Console UI has to be bigger and simplified to account for this. A game has to be controller friendly too.

If your game is fast paced and requires mongoose-grade reaction times, the frame rate is different on consoles and not all TVs will be good enough to accommodate this.

The list goes on, and that’s not even diving in marketing decisions accounting for different user profiles for console and PC, irrelevant here.

Even when Sony, MS (and probably Nintendo, although I never had to deal with them) don’t have any stake in the creative development, the compliance process is a nightmare for QA departments as the book of regulations is thick enough to be used as a blunt weapon and contains asinine regulations that may force you to make concessions in unexpected areas of the game (or at least used to, I hope it’s been simplified since I last worked in that area)

When all is said and done, I still trust Phoenix Point’s word though, and that’s enough. As long as they get enough money from MS to deal with the port without taking resources away from the rest, good for them!

1 Like

I just picked this up for PC and now that it is coming to the Xbox Gaming Pass I am even more excited. For one that means I will not have to double dip on game. Two it is always nice playing on a larger screen to check it out on 4K at times as well. The fact that Phoenix Point stated what they did I am more then fine with that. I think parity is also going to be a thing of the past. We are seeing now with the Xbox X that higher end consoles will have the graphical benefits vs the lower end ones such as the Xbox S with better frame rates and resolution. Much like how PC gaming in and vs High end GPUs budget GPUs. You go with fits your budget. It’s now up to the developers on how they want to push the games especially with new systems having the X86 architecture.

Hmm and you can’t play on PC on larger screen?

Clearly. historically M$ hasnt attracted many fans because of their own corporate and end user policies, but hey, flight simulator, natural keyboard and Xbox are their “good choices”.

While I am a Linux / Windows player, I hope after the XBox release and DLCs you could think of poor PS4 users, who knows even Nintendo WII U ones or PS3 ones if game can scale to that (PowerPC) driven hardware.

In console wars, its best if possible to just support them all.

1 Like

Why would you release on the Wii U though? that’d be like releasing on the PS1.

The Switch on the other hand.

Because WII U is far more hardware powerful, more then PS3, leave alone how Nintendo fail it.

Switch is handheld and is not really more powerful and in same league.

Its more like PS1 and improved gameboy.

There is a second rationale beyond it. Secondary market.
Now when PS3 is “old fashion” (and WII U as well), these consoles get so low priced in usable states, they became accesable to poorer classes / people in developing countries.

As game pricetag will also fall after 1-2 years (and it will get bugfixed too) such “old console” releases for $20-30 price could mean a lot of purchases for that old-new “hungry for new titles” market.

Similar is reason why Linux is included in gaming arena, but would love to see it extended to ARM and PPC as Linux is flexibile and merely needs an recompile for different CPU arch. Why not playing the game on some strong tablet or IBM Talos workstation (or G4/G5 PPC Macs/AmigaOnes if possible?)

I could move the PC to the TV for the 4K, but that gets to be to much of a hassle to do that. I have a 34" gaming monitor that I play that is 21:9 2560x1080. I love Ultra Wide Screen resolutions and most likely will upgrade the Monitor in the future to higher resolution one (3440x1440). My TV is 55" so the size on that is nice to play on as well. Not to mention the surround sound with Dolby Atmos.

1 Like

The Switch is more powerful than the Wii U. Go look up the specs of the two if you don’t believe me, but as an example the Switch can run the same game as the Wii U but at a higher resolution (I think the example I found was a Zelda game going from 720p up to 900 on the Switch). Plus I don’t see the Wii U being able to run the new DOOM but DOOM is on the Switch and from what I’ve heard it actually plays rather well.

This is what Steam Link is for. I have one connected to the TV along with a controller that connects to the box. This way my computer can stream the game to my TV and the whole family can watch.

Just an option if one wants to play their PC on their TV without actually moving the PC to the TV.

The problem I had with the Steam link is that it never changed the resolution from my PC monitor to the TV correctly. Monitor was 2560x1080 21:9 and the TV at that time was 1920x1080 16:9. So games would start looking all messed up and then I would have to go to the PC and change the resolution there to make it display right on the TV. Tv is now 4K so I have not tried my steam link to see how it would look and runs since upgrading the TV earlier this year. I know my GPU can not handle 4K either so need to upgrade that, but waiting to see what comes out in the next year and hopefully watch GPU prices continue to fall.

With having the Xbox X and the Gamepass I get this game for Free on the X, so I have no problems wanting to play it there and will give it a try. I think it is a great option for the Developers to port over using DX 12 and the Xbox X. I would love to hear more details if they can enlighten us of the process.

I was more talking in general and not to dissuade you from trying the game on the XBOX for free.

Yes, it has octa core ARM for small HD screen as opposed to 3 core G4 on muscles. for pad screen and real screen. Nevermind, I find handheld devices another category, as in my experience, these are ofen “paper dragons”

Sidenote: Having DOOM for Switch does not mean it couldn’t be done for WII U. Simply WII U failed to have market success and Nintendo is almost dead.

People have been predicting Nintendo’s demise every year for over a decade. It’s not happening any time soon. Nintendo has been have its best year since the Wii came along and is making money hand over fist, thanks to the Switch.

1 Like

Yeah. They may be backing down on home console market but their handelds are as strong as ever. DS line’s popularity is unmatched and Switch is becoming what PSP was in it’s prime time.

1 Like

Nintendo is not going anywhere anytime soon. They are doing to good on the Handhelds and I do not see that changing.

1 Like

couple of questions

1 will the dlc come out for the xbox?
if so will it be released at the same time
pc?

2 how much would the dlc cost (roughly)

3 will you be releasing a hard copy or will
it just digital?

Thanks