My thoughts on finishing the game with 100+ hours under the belt

It was a fun ride, until it wasn’t.

First, the good. Coming from new iteration of XCOM, and some other XCOM-likes it was quite a refreshing experience to play in strategic level. Multiple bases, teams, missions and all at the same time! Strategic complexity rose right the way I like it. On the tactical layer game is refreshing too, with it’s “aiming” mechanic and four action points…

Innovations on the tactical layer made me remember Othercide’s “timeline” action points, Chimera Squad “initiative” system, so I believe there is still room for innovations.

Stuff, that would have been nice. Ability to influence relationships between fractions to positive side. Maybe a cooperative effort ending?

Now, the bad. The game has bugs, here and there, nothing game breaking, what is game breaking is that game fails to communicate with a player. Starting with cumbersome UI for manufacturing stuff, not stating clearly that it is advantageous to specialize your bases and finally to the way the game threats “final battle” - Being a completionist, I research everything, I also allied with every faction, I also thought, that I’ll checkout all the endings, after finishing with the ancients. But the game decided otherwise, when locked me to PP ending after researching final virophages tech. Some UI warning would have been nice! And here I was, helping others factions, finishing their research, not knowing, that final mission is already locked to be the PP ending. Also not so much variety in final mission, but that’s nitpicking.

4 Likes

Some UI warning would have been nice! And here I was, helping others factions, finishing their research, not knowing, that final mission is already locked to be the PP ending.

Was also a disappointment to me, first end to reach becomes permanent. No warning given …

1 Like

This is the problem. We should not be able to ally with all facttons, thus we should not be even expecting to try to reach all the ending in one go. We try to influence devs to tweek this a little bit so positive attitude with all factions would be really hard if not impossible to achieve.

1 Like

I suspect it’s less about not wanting to do that, and more of not having good solutions. I remember we were told that allying with all factions wouldn’t be a thing. Then again many ambitious goals weren’t quite achieved in PP.

1 Like

The real point here is the being “Locked in” to one ending when you research, I fell for this twice before I realized what was going on! You should be able to research all and then pick, but locked in is well… wrong and without warning it is down right frustration. I have completed it on every possible ending before the “ancients” DLC was available since this time I have not completed any, I think I am close now but it looks like it will have to be a PP ending… as I am out of time and no other research is available yet.

1 Like