Lairs vs Citadels

Perhaps it’s my game play style, but Lairs are the UberBoss fight in the game, even more than the final mission. It’s more difficult than attempting an extreme haven defense. I just can’t bring myself to cheese a Lair attack.

I’m with you there. It’s as hard as the last mission in any XCOM. Which would be fine if it was the pinnacle of Panda Den design. But as it is, you know you don’t actually have to take it, unless it’s sitting on the doorstep of one of your bases. Just wait for it to turn into a Citadel and then set out the Pina Coladas and deckchairs for your snipers.

I am a glutton for punishment - as I just started another campaign. And of course while I should be waiting for the next “balancing act” from Snapshot, I started a Rookie run (still trying to fine tune my strategies and builds). 3 game weeks into the campaign, I defend my first haven and reveal a lair. Since I only have the starter aircraft and my team is only level 4 with one level 5, I am pretty limited on how I can tackle a lair this early in.

Team is 3 assaults, 2 snipers and 1 heavy. Still only have Firebird SR’s, but luckily have a grenade launcher. As I move forward, a Siren spots a unit through a crack that I wouldn’t be able to shoot through and mind controls a unit. As I move my men up to hopefully take out the Siren’s head I have to leave them pretty much in the open. Next turn an un-spotted Mortar/Missle firing Chiron launches its attack, causing major damage to my squad.

Come on, give a player a break. First map with a Chiron and it has to be the deadliest of all. Even if I knew it was there, there was no way I could even take it on, as it was way out of my snipers’ range.

So I say to hell with this and reload the same map/enemy save. This time I was able to dodge the Chiron by rushing my unit to nearest high cover. Still had to deal with 2 Sirens (along with a mix of Arthrons and Tritons). Again had to deal with a Siren that can mind control a unit when not in any of my unit’s LOS. Did manage to get the Spawnery by hugging the walls and as luck would have it the Chiron was on the opposite side of the map from the Spawnery.

But still, I hardly expected to have to face such forces just 3 game weeks in. Especially since all the Pandorans in my past encounters this run have only just begun to evolve into their full potential.

Early in the game a Citadel isn’t any easier than a Lair when you only 6-8 units (levels 4-5), and have yet to find more than 2 snipers. 2 snipers with Firebird SR’s are not gonna take out the Scylla while the rest of the squad tries to fend off Tritrons, grenade launching Arthrons (throw in a few Chirons and Sirens) – no matter how much rum one puts in their Pina Coladas.

I’m quite sure a Siren spawned right next to one of my soldiers (center spawn point) when I had the 3 points covered. Maybe the rule applies only to side spawn points.
Also, it feels like after some time there are two new spawns per turn. Either that or some enemies wait in the spawning area making me think that 2 were spawned.

Can confirm this. Sometimes two enemies spawn at same point in one turn. Happened to me few times.

I have actually seen 3 Pandoran spawn at once during a lair run (all from the same spawning spot).

Does it help to shoot their guns and let them stay alive to suppress spawning?

In theory, yes. But, I am not positive that it stops new spawns, it may just postpone them. Even then, one needs to stay clear of them, as most Pandorans have other means of causing damage even without weapons.

That, and if they’re left without a means of attack they’ll retreat anyway, making room for fresh boiz with weapons.

1 Like

Yes it helps in my experience. Sirens with disabled head (0 wp) will practically be always panicked, and new ones will rarely spawn.