Equip One Team or All?

To get back on topic, I agree that the insta-teleport of kit all around the world ‘feels’ wrong, but like @omenomaho I don’t see how they can implement it any other way without making the game a lot clunkier than it is.

The way I rationalise it is that we have 3D printing tech that only works properly if you break down the item you are trying to replicate at the other end.

It makes about as much sense as trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world infested with Yuggothian Crab-People :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

As Hawkeye says in Age of Ultron: “We’re fighting super-intelligent robots on a flying city, and I’m armed with a bow and arrow. Just go with it!”

How about this

1. have a separate inventory for each craft*

2. have the option at any location to “rearm and resupply”, just like explore, trade, deploy, etc. When you click it you can choose to send items from the stores to the craft, after waiting a few hours.

*it would be perhaps better if there were squads with their own inventory, so that this could also be used with soldiers at the bases.

1 Like

With exploration system there no replacement for current “teleport” system.
But as understand, new exploration in Ktulhu patch will change it to be more like in old XCOM. Maybe something then can be changed in equipment system.

1 Like

So far my goal is to produce equipment for all my teams, because it’s silly to teleport equipment across the globe, and it’s tedious.

However, I can’t seem to keep up with manufacturing demands and growing amount of teams to manage - so for now they borrow equipment in between mission (the most tedious is having to equip teams before scanning in case they get ambushed). I think I could afford making more equipment but investing in facilities, more soldiers and manufacturing more aircrafts is just more tempting.

I suggested on canny making aircraft inventory, like in old UFO. I don’t mind there being global resources to be honest (being able to access everything from any base), but I think there could be a functional gameplay loop from having to keep each aircraft equipped individually. Naturally, it would be as simple as making that happen - some rebalance would most likely have to go with it.

how can’t you see the solution? Few steps:

• Lower cost of items by 2 or even 4
  • Increase income of resources by 2 maybe, or maybe not
  • Lower production times by half
  • Produce each item multiplied by 10
  • Put half of these items in the airplane cargohold and replace them each time you need something else
  • take 20 magazines for each weapon on the aircraft
  • If something will be spare then bring it back to base and scrap and resupply all the other items you need.

It is so much micromanagement? Don’t be silly.

1 Like

To me, having to unequip a squad of all it’s weapons and armour to equip a squad on the other side of the map in order to achieve optimum play (by not having to purchase a second set of weapons/armour) is already as clunky as it gets. It’s the “not making sense”-factor that multiplies the clunkiness by a hundredfold. If this is intended behaviour, there should at least be an “unequip all” button akin to XCOM that can be used on ship.

It reminds me of the terrible XCOM-like Phantom Doctrine, where you have to fly your agents to certain missions taking several hours, apart from a certain type of emergency mission where you can instantly teleport them there.

I feel like there has to be a better solution that this.

3 Likes

My solution is worse?

You can swap weapons using ship’s cargohold and use it for multiple missions. If you plan to do a lot more missions, then just plan little more ahead and take 2 times more magazines and half more weapons.

When you will get new weapons from research, then produce few of them, and then send second ship with transport to main strike team (or even few teams) and reequip them. And all new weapons which you have as drops from missions you already have in ships cargospace.

There is nothing tedious or boring or anything else as other suggest.

1 Like

I hope you are joking… Problems with resources only in the beginning, when you form your first squad and again when you build second base facilities. After that resources is overflowing. On legend.

1 Like

That is why I wrote that maybe. There should be done some balancing about item cost and income. Btw my post was just a simple idea to those non-believers who think that it can’t be done.

Mostly all difficulty’s only in the beginning :upside_down_face:

You are assuming that making manufacturing cheaper, players will use it to pack the crafts for several missions. I’m not sure that this assumption can be made.

They might use the surplus of resources for something else - base facilities, or building a second craft faster. And then complain about the new bug that doesn’t let them equip the troops like they want :wink:

The second problem is the manufacturing that finishes during the trip, or team B finding ammo for weapons that team A uses.

Yea that could work. I’d rather want them to do pretty much everything on canny before even thinking about implementing mini games like this :wink:

I can’t understand you. It was a joke about lowering cost or make 10 items for same price? Or you really think that your suggestions will make game better?

1 Like

So propose your own solutions because I can’t understand your point.

I don’t see why equiping an aircraft would be a problem (outside work that implimentation would require - good dedicated UI would take some work) - UFO worked more or less that way, and it worked really well. I don’t think ship’s inventory would need to be particularly limited - it just would be mostly commitment to what you reserve for that ship. Dock in any base and resupply. Packing extra ammo and medkits and alternative equipment shouldn’t be that punishing to think about.

We might differenciate between ships - fast synedrion with realtively small cargo and small strike team for specialized strikes, slower bulkier crafts better for longer exploration.

EDIT: https://phoenixpoint.canny.io/feedback/p/achieving-a-sense-of-sending-out-an-expedition

1 Like

Yep, I upvoted back when you created the ticket.

The difference with UFO is how exploration works. In UFO a mission appeared, you sent the craft, did the mission and came back. In Phoenix Point, Geoscape is populated with locations you have to explore, so you send the craft out to one location after another, returning to base only when necessary.

Thus my suggestion to have the option to resupply in the field…

With current exploration there are no replacement for teleported equipment.
Your suggestions near to give everything for free.

Remove the teleport and you will have the opportunity

• open new bases with standard “armor and weapons” in storage
  • repair “armor and weapons”
  • “fill the base with life and fun”

say No to "empty/dead bases"

One of the main problems of this game / developers is too many things that kill faith in what is happening on the screen / mind.

How can you create a Masterpiece without loving / believing / caring - to be immersed in what you are doing.

Oh jesus. So don’t introduce lower cost. :wink: It is a nuance in the introduction of a way better storage mechanism.

Oh and if you are concerned about early part of the game then game can be set that players find 10 or 20 copies of basic weapons in Phoenix Point Base (and 5 heavy cannons), and there could be algorithm giving for example one basic weapon on the missions during first weeks of January 2047. So we don’t need to manufacture almost anything in that early part of the game.