Report of my veteran (own experience and also difficulty) playing style

The final report, 27.03.2047

Spoiler-warning: Don’t read ahead and don’t open the unfolding segments! This report is full of end game spoilers!

Research to get the final mission is done:

Prepare for the mission:

The three soldier types of my Squad (2 Assault-Inf, 2 Heavy-Inf and 1 Priest-Inf), the different types are all similar equipped (except the Danchev AR for one Heavy, the other uses the Crystal Crossbow:

The mission in more detail:

After collecting the retrovirus injector near the spawning area my 5 squaddies walk fearless around the first big wall into position. 100% stealth is very nice in this first part of the mission, no enemy get alarmed and so they simply stand at their starting positions (100% stealth on its own is IMO not too OP, but the mission design is just bad. Honestly, they only stand at their positions and do nothing for several turns before the player starts the murdering? IMO simply bad):

The plan is straight forward:

• The Priest casts Frenzy so the whole squad gets boosted.

• One of the Heavies starts the slaughter fest with vanishing closer and rage bursting the Scylla in front. He will probably not kill her but damaging enough to be an easy kill for one of the Assaults.

• The second Heavy vanishes and runs closer to the second Scylla by using most AP but having at least 1 AP left.

• One Assault starts his killing chain more in the back to kill the Chirons and Tritons there and to gain enough AP to Onslaught the second Heavy so he has enough AP to rage burst the second Scylla in the back.

• The second Assault starts his killing chain at the front enemies and should have no real problems there including the rest of the first Scylla.

The first rage burst:

… and the result:

The second Heavy sneaked through all the enemies to the second Scylla:

The Assault onslaughts the second Heavy after killing the first foes:

The second Heavy aims his rage burst to the second Scylla:

… and his result (not as much as the first one, but a bunch of virus, though not necessary :wink: ):

After doing all the mop up work the two Assaults overwatches the single Umbra spawn point (lucky me not getting more, for this, one OW should be enough, but safety first):

The OW kill of the Umbra:

In the second chamber it was mostly easy, one of the Chirons got killed by massive crossbow fire from almost all of my squaddies with some misses.
The second Chiron and also the 2 Triton Praetorians (special type only for this last mission with 660 HP) got killed by my Assaults as they close the distance to the Yuggothian Entity (YE) followed by the rest of the squad.
Both heavies got Marked of the Void from the YE on their way but no problem to this point, just holding distance to not damaging the buddies.

Some single shots on the YE on the way and then the first rage burst from one of the Heavies:

The result was not really super good but good enough and after another 2 turns, 2 additional rage bursts and some single shots from the other squaddies the YE was down to receive the final shot:

Mission over after placing the injector, this is the end of this terrible threat (we hope so):

Little remark: 0 of all the medkits used :wink:

The final result pages, no further comments:

A little summary:
All in all this was partially a funny campaign, the first for a long time where I not recruit as much as I could but focused mainly on few recruits. Many missions after having the main team up to OP status were easy going and routine jobs, but the time before was really nice and is probably also the most interesting part for more inexperienced players. I would say up to end of January early February the reports could be a help to anyone that has no idea how to start and get the first stage done without having to resort to abusing mechanics.

Comment are still welcome and also questions.

2 Likes