[QUESTION TO JG & THE DEVS] Am I playing a totally different game to everyone else?

Wouldn’t that just make the difficulty ramp up even higher on the next mission? - The game now thinks that you’re defeating its extreme level challenges?

And that console can then obviously be used again on the next mission, but if you’ve got that solution to use console commands do you still need to have a change to DDA?

I’ve actually tried a whole campaign (rookie) allying with no faction and not doing the Symes mission until late and the difficulty never ramped up even-though I was using the console (to make things quicker).
I tried some missions:

• scavenging: 2/3 crabs and 2 mindfraggers
  • lair: 3/4 enemies, so easy
  • citadel: the Scylla and a single Chiron or 2 tritons
  • Haven defense with only a Scylla or only a Chiron or 2/3 enemies max

Doing the Symes mission (and the following) didn’t really up the difficulty. It may be related to your relations with factions.
It was much simpler than my initial rookie campaign. Maybe using the console doesn’t register it for the dynamic difficulty.

Possibly, but I have seen some really easy missions, too. It really is a mix.

Well, it’s not really a solution, it’s cheating. And cheating always kills part of the fun. Even though I try to only use it when I see no other way (to not loose my troopers), but it’s still cheating and a victory achieved that way is not really rewarding.

Btw: There is a console command called “max_dynamic_diff”. Sounds pretty promising. But I don’t know if that command still works and, more importantly, I have no idea what range of values it takes as arguments. The hardest could be 1, 10, or 10000, I have no idea. But apparently, dynamic difficulty should be pretty easy to modify (by the devs). It could also be turned into an option, so that you not only choose general difficulty but also dynamic difficulty.

Edit: Ah, well, reading the latest patch notes kind of killed my motivation to go on. With all the nerfs it seems impossible to win any mission without cheating. And the dynamic difficulty nerf apparently only works when you start a new campaign. I don’t feel like restarting the campaign after having spent more than 30 hours on the current one. Bye bye Phoenix Point, it was fun while it lasted :frowning:

1 Like

Okay, I can appreciate that.

It’s interesting; the whole concept of how we can all make our rules up and decide individually what is or isn’t allowed for our personal rules of ‘our’ game.

Yeah, I can’t say that I blame you. I’ve been holding off playing for just that reason.

Good luck for whatever you do play next.

1 Like

Thanks, you too! I’ll probably go for Blackguards 2.

BUT: There is a speckle of hope! Because I recently migrated my games from HDD to SSD and have not deleted the HDD yet, I still happen to have a pre-patch copy of the game directory. In addition to that, JJ2198 has uploaded a mod to nexus, which can be used to edit attributes of weapons, monsters, abilities etc:
Customizable Game Tweaks
I have asked him if he could extract the original settings if I uploaded the required files from my old game directory.
Or maybe it’s even possible to simply overwrite the new game directory with the old one - but it would probably be patched again the first time we try to launch the game.

Edit: It turns out that his settings are based on December 16, not January 16 - I was blind again :wink: With this mod you can actually restore many of the original settings, but not all of them (e.g. improved precision for Quick Aim is not possible).
Eventually I decided to restore the old game directory and disable the automatic updates. This way I can finish my campaign in peace without patches making the game even more difficult than before.

Maybe, I don’t remember now what was exact situation. But end result is the same.

Indeed. For me, the goal of gaming is to have fun, to switch off and forget everyday stress… What fun actually is depends on the person - hence the individual rules. Therefore games with lots of customization settings and mod-ability are great. But again, even this depends on the person - lots of options might scare some people away :wink:

+1 to that. It’s good in the end to keep everyone happy.