Please explain how Mortar Chiron work

Mmm all that from the code, impressive, code reading isn’t easy and full of traps.

You know what? That looks very very credible, this would explain some cases hard to explain.

Now it’s alert, for bombard I’m pretty sure weapons shoot play no role, nor stealth, only move noise that is like what you see for noise. And the distance is no way a penalty, for no logical reason.

I’m less sure about other aliens los, just that it’s hardly target a non moving soldier, I exploited it too often to not be sure, but it could be a vessel to Chiron to consider the target if it does noise move.

It explains my use case. My targeted soldier was in hearing range of the dead Siren.

Can’t explain how the Chiron got alerted though. I haven’t found where the “initial alert radius” is set.

Wait we agree it’s not in list

I hardly agree with your dead hearing/seeing explanation, because I don’t remind that have killed an enemy was a trigger fo Chiron alert and I don’t tend do combats from long range.

But perhaps I don’t understand your point, and it’s totally possible that I didn’t noticed the link.

As I said, I don’t know what condition made the Chiron alerted. However, once alerted, he could know where I was because I was in the dead Siren’s hearing range.

Seems that “initial alert range” is 15. So it is possible that shooting on the SIren with some overwatches triggered the alert if Chiron was within 15 tiles of it.

I doubt it, ok I’ll try check and putting care to cadavers. Hearing range is perception range?

No,
Perception range is different per “actor” and you need line of sight.
Hearing range seems to be hardcoded to 5 and is the distance at which you appear as a “blip”.

Woo the hearing range extend of 10 is huge, 5 is almost point blank, I find it hard to believe, if that’s 5 for cadavers, mmm that changes a lot.

HearingRange is a “CharacterStat”, just like Perception. During initialization it is set to 5 and I don’t see it change anywhere.
However, just like Perception, it is possible that it is set by some “reflexive” process and therefore not as easy to find when you don’t want to spend too much time.
So it is possible that some enemies have bigger HearingRange, just like Perception.
However, the code really doesn’t check if the listener is dead (perception code does that).

If it was really managed but I have all clues it isn’t, the structure and materials should have a huge effect on it. Even Doom was doing much better. But the game is probably enough complex like that and I’m not sure that make it more complex wouldn’t lost players.

But 5 looks very short. But ok it’s possible, and again 100% sure it’s different with Chiron bombards, and without any cadavers at 5 tiles.

Aren’t Triton have sometimes an extended hear range?

Once alerted Chirons hear any sound on the map, it’s not realism it’s gameplay. But that also means not moving and nobody moving close, the soldier is undetected.

Stop not believe careful and extensive exploitation of it in more than 10 missions. Try exploit it too.

That said Lairs are a fail design for Chiron bombards. This need a redesign of covers against them in Lairs.

Skip it or find some high obstacle that can’t be destroyed, bring a Priest. Camp here, wait a Crab with Poison come, will lowdown, control, rush, make it move to Spawnery, poison a few time, end of mission. During that time you continue camp and defend with high obstacles. Is it worth it? Not really but to achieve the mission objective, and in case you don’t have yet the firepower for Citadel.

It’s perception range.

There are two characteristics in this game to spot someone:

• perception, which is the maximum distance at which you can spot an enemy in line of sight and make him/it “revealed” (stealth removes a percentage from this maximum distance)
  • hearing range, which is the maximum distance at which you can hear an enemy coming and make him/it “located”: you see an “echo” on the floor

Ok I probably make a confusion with their ability to not make sound when shooting, but frankly I think this aspect is currently an unfinished feature so the gameplay works better.

Ok perhaps the side effect is for players only, the cam not showing the bullet path in this case. This can be rough with snipers, but I think I get that also for non Triton sometimes, so not sure the use of this Triton skill.

If thats true please make a F12 Report because thats a big bad bug in my opinion.

Shoot origin not shown? Gee I’m not fast enough for that, ask that to Flash. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Let be clear it was enemy not hear or seen. Some cases I had the origin, some I don’t think, not totally sure. Eventually it was a very large plan very fast and get the origin for that is very approximate, I’m not sure.

I did in the feedback report: https://phoenixpoint.canny.io/feedback/p/hearing-range-doesnt-check-for-listener-death

Just vote to have it high on the pile :wink:

1 Like

I voted.but for Bugs i Think f12 is better…

F12 is the same with a screenshot.
The big difference is that other users can vote for this bug and potentially make it take precedence over others.
Looking at the code, this one seemed extremely easy to fix. The method is called in only one place so no side effects expected.

But how any time the code calling it is called? :slight_smile:

It’s called by “OnActorMoved” only. So once someone moves, this method triggers.
For each “actor” from an enemy faction, we check if it is in hearing range (not checking if the actor is dead) and check if it has line of sight in perception range.

It’s quite straightforward.