Is height advantage a thing in PP?

That doesn’t look like him lying on the edge of a roof to me. Of course, he is able to aim down, maybe 5 degrees (with his table).

So if we can have a table in Phoenix point to lie on we can get hardly any discernible difference in angle to the target

Interesting. That’s what I do with my Snipers in PP - stand a couple of tiles back from the edge so that I can pinpoint long-range targets without getting shot at by the short-range targets that are the responsibility of the rest of the squad.

If I need to take a short range shot to help out, that’s when I move up to the building’s edge.

I have no idea what happens in real life, but in PP generally the best position is behind a wall next to a window on a second, or a third floor.

First, it makes it difficult for enemies to spot you. Second, even if they do, they can’t shoot at you with direct fire weapons. Third, they can’t go around.

The big advantage of shooting from high ground in PP is that you don’t have to deal with the obstacles on the ground floor.

And you can do this, of course.

Personally, I don’t think that anything has to be done about heavy weapons and shooting over low cover - it’s something you have to consider when using them. Actually, it means that with heavy weapons it makes sense to take positions on roof edges without cover. And to wear heavy armor while you do so.

I would imagine that something like this doesn’t make sense in real life, but then in real life you don’t have NJ Heavy Armor. Or Synedrion sniper armor that gives a massive boost to accuracy. Make shooting heavy weapons over low cover possible, and they will lose one of the few disadvantages they have over sniper rifles…

2 Likes

It did occur to me that the architecture exists in the code to let PP Squaddies take a ‘Stability Stance’. In this case, it would involve either going prone or mounting your weapon on a wall, and would give you a buff to accuracy at the price of 1 or 2 APs to go into or out of the stance.

As I say, the Stability Stance code exists, because it’s already used by Chirons - the hard work would be in building the GFX to go with it.

And it is used by mutants. :wink:

And the game can already detect when a soldier is next to low cover. So all you need is an animation and some code to raise the height of the weapon.

it wouldn’t be so simple. :slight_smile: what about overwatch or return fire of soldier standing on the roof. Will it always need to use changed point of targeting or only in some cases. What about you being prone to return fire while you shoot in such conditions. It has some implications. :slight_smile: But with some time it can be improved I think.

I think it would be pretty simple :slight_smile: they could use the changed point of aim all the time.

Sure, there would be some aiming problems - just like there already is.

Hey People.

First of all this is a “game”. This is not a simulation of real life, even far of it as it’s turn based.
For that reason, a game should have own rules. Some of them will be realistic but some of them not. If you just try to put every realistic possibility at a game, then you won’t have a balance. Because real life is unbalanced with many factors inside.

We are here to enjoy the a tactical X-Com style game. I don’t think there is someone sane enough who will enjoy a gunfight at any warzone. So at RL, you just try to abuse everything to win. But if you can make this at a game, you will tell this very easy or very hard and as a result unbalanced.

I am a 40 year old xcom fan who played UFO at Amiga 500, with 5 disks… From those days I am playing and modding this kind of games. From my experience, I am very enjoying the combat system of this game. It’s complex but simple enough to enjoy. If you try to bring every human movement, every shot possibility and every physic then you will get something so frustrating, you would not play it anymore.

So more then realistic things, It’s important to have a balanced gameplay in the game world. No need to add more, but best balance with the things we have. thx!

6 Likes

For the PUBG game, reality is not a problem.

AGA version, please :slight_smile:

Well, there are bonuses:

• Increased accuracy towards lower targets and those in line of same hight

• However: Its not a single sided bonus. Yes, like you can granade them down, you can be granaded and suffer a drop health penalty. Snipers from low but direct points can easily spot you and snipe you too.

There are defenetely far better lines of sights for one thing. Try putting a mixed squad where return fire would work, place snipers and return fire units at edges and you can beat back almost any attack. Works good on higher difficulty steal research or aircraft missions where enemies have high end units, many snipers and vehicles.

Simply, take nearest roof, and kill kill kill.