BB3 Some thoughts on Return Fire

Can you read my good man?

And this is it, from now on I’m ignoring you.

Horses for courses. For you it adds to micro-management, for me it adds to realism, as that’s the way I see soldiers in real-war videos using cover. Let’s agree to disagree and move on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes I can:

Isn’t it pretty clear that while you claim to be fine with all kinds of games you keep using negative or diminutive terms in regards to simulations and rng while uplifting everything deterministic such as Chess. Even the Dune got a praised because “RNG is so confined it’s practically absent”.
And that’s my point, you like deterministic games more, it’s fine. You thought that PP is like that or will be like that. That is fine too. I prefer sims, as so far these are the only games that provided my with enough depth of gameplay. I don’t consider games like Chess to be a “deep”, as certain core principals behind them, like determinism puts a hard limit on creativity of design. Those limits can lead to creation of all kind of abstract balancing rules, which are there for the sake of fixing self inflicted issues. I just don’t want this game to be another variation of Firaxis XCom that is full of such solutions. We already have such game and a new one is in the works. Ideological approach that denies usage of some features solely on grounds of them belonging to a different class of functions is a bit extreme. Why care about how function works as long as it provides output that is better? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sim where absolutely everything was done using non-determenistic rules just for the sake of it, this sounds really silly from the designer point of view.

It was a side not to point out that regular cover is ineffective, but thank you for confirming the same though own actions in the game.

The issue isn’t the cover, it’s the full shield icon that indicates that that cover is providing you with 100% protection. If the shield wasn’t shown, players would be more inclined to make their own judgement call IMHO.

That, and you don’t have the option to manually change your stance when behind that cover to make best effective use of it.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Cover’s not completely ineffective, otherwise we wouldn’t hug it as closely as we do, but it doesn’t work the way people assume it does. To me that’s not a problem. Once you’ve figured out how it does work, you can use it pretty effectively to your advantage.

I see a lot of people complaining on these fora that Crabbie/Trirons have perfect aim. Not in my experience they don’t, but you have to use the cover system properly to make that work.

Agreed. The confusion is based on our conditioning from other games. So they should change the icon to something that can’t be misinterpreted, not change the cover system.

PP is very much its own beast, and (balancing issues aside) all the better for that imho.

1 Like

Funny that you’ve mentioned it because hugging the cover is what this game actually needs. A literal lean to the cover to create the smallest side profile. If game wants to keep going with the amount of movement both sides can do and having limited view range.

If you mean removing LOS as a proper use of cover, then you don’t need any icons indicating the cover in the first place. What is now a half cover can be a complete no-LOS cover too if soldier can “hunker down” behind it. I mean, in a game where you have flexible amount of AP it makes sense to just move your soldier one tile to a side, take a shot and then move back. XCom needed those cover points as you couldn’t do such side steps. Some people do manual side stepping already because of the bugs with some particular tiles which are not recognized as cover from which you can side-step but they look like it. Some, like you I assume, side-step to maximize cover. The game could just embrace this concept and remove “false” cover indicator that it has right now.

It’s probably buried here, so I made a separate thread regarding shield icons being misleading.

1 Like

This is the game text:

Whether it changes the target reticle or not I don’t know, it might just move a higher proportion of shots into the inner circle.

I’ve always felt that it’s the wrong way round, a quick aim that reduces AP for shots is good, but I feel that that should come with a penalty to aim, not a boost to it.

I stand corrected, though in my empirical experience, it doesn’t appear to affect the target reticle (but that’s probably just me).

I agree: taking 2 snap shots shouldn’t magically increase your accuracy - though I think the WP cost of using a skill to do this should mean your accuracy isn’t decreased either.

You know what, I wouldn’t be averse to that - though it might freak out new players.
There are also a number of cosmetic icons on the map that provide no cover whatsoever, which confuse the issue. Still, learning by trial & error which bits of the map provide protection and which don’t might actually reduce cover frustration rather than increase it.

I’m saying that each approach has its merits. Yes, it is harder to make a chess game that works. It doesn’t mean that I consider chess the pinacle of gaming. I’m using it as the example of a game where there is no RNG at all.

I praised Dune in reference to this comment:

What I meant is that a game with very confined RNG can also be very fun and engaging.

And as to PP what I’m saying is that it’s a game with confined RNG (at least once combat starts). It was clearly a design choice to make it so, because dice smudging (and this is not a negative term, it’s precisely what you describe in like 3 pages about the WW2 planes) though providing an easy solution to difficult problems (think, for example, how stealth OP would disappear with a pair of dice) and realism, has a cost or disadvantage to game with confined RNG.

If you read each of my posts you will see that this is what I have been saying all along. I don’t want PP to be a chess game, that’s absurd. I acknowledge the intent of the devs to limit the use of RNG in their game design and I embrace it. If it was the other way around and they decided to do something like JA2 - spreadsheets of weighted stats and dice, so that it would be played by feel, I would embrace that too and would say no, I’m sorry, it doesn’t make sense to add, say, a deterministic mechanic for stealth/detection to a sim game.

I know that you want PP to be a simulation, which has to involve profuse use of RNG (because reality is like that), but the game clearly followed a different path and I wish that you could appreciate that it does have its advantages.

I think you might be mixing up who you’re replying to there, or I’m getting memory loss. :wink:

:wink: I was replying to BoredEngineer, but I quoted you in my response to explain my previous post. We will have to bring in some lawyers eventually to sort out who is saying what :thinking:

Okay, but I want custody of the dog :wink: