Overwatch cone mechanics are not logical

Elven Ranger from Warcraft II.

False. Only at the beginning you may want to set wide cones. I mostly use cones which are little wider than the default.

But you know what? I would want this cone to be an arc! :slight_smile: When you set it wider then center of the cone has definitely closer range than the edges. That has real drawback. If you don’t want your edged to catch anything too far you shorten the cone, and then your center is too close. Or if you really want to cover that center but also has edges covered you risk that you will shot something that is far away. I vote to change end of a cone into an arc! :slight_smile:

Because it doesn’t have to be documented?

Maybe let’s not over-complicate things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Yokes! Yup that’s it been a while is all. :smiley:

+1

1 Like

Whoops, so is also in the in-game tutorial… So is documented then? What a shame…

Well the text is, The Overwatch ability allows soldier to guard area during enemy turn.

Most players knowing already overwatch will never see more text.

Much better in game information is the list of commands, you can’t change them but at least get the list. In almost all games, check this list is the best and most readable information on commands available.

A true tutorial learning would have been to require a width change during the tutorial, but they probably thought it would damage too much the tutorial fluidity which is quite good.

I feel like there is some meat on the bone for weapon type having an effect on OW. WP cost could be changed based on type, and even # of OW shots available (discrete shots, not rounds in a burst, I mean). Certain, easier to handle weapons could potentially get 2+ ow shots. Cost for OW could be further increased for heavy/sniper type weapons.

Agree, pretty ingenious system really. Now i am able to keep my guys from friendly firing my other guys during overwatch and to concentrate on certain enemys.

It would be nice if you could set your standard overwatch width tho.

1 Like

If you don’t want to shoot the corner of a building, don’t include it in the cone.

1 Like

Underrated comment right here!

I think one of the biggest mistakes is including obstacles in the cone, then your soldiers start shooting as soon as they perceive something in their cone, even if it’s behind a wall.

1 Like