Concerns.

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
TFTD posted this 2 weeks ago

Context: i m an old X-com fan TFTD was my first but i have all he 3 first, EU, TFTD, Apocalipse. But i also have many others, After series, extraterestrials gold, and obviously Xenonauts and Fireaxis games and played other that left my HD for good.

I was releaved when the original makers of Xcom were in a new game. But the first trailers and gameplay threw me in dismay.Its like looking at a cavalry at the crest of a hill thinking its oon your side and discovering its more or the ennemy.

Its feels a mere clone to fireaxis game, with all its chakles and bad design decisions on the battlefield department.

Foreaxis games suffer from many problems that have been solved by fubaring the tactical squad part of the game.

The number of soldiers is low, too low to have anything that can be called tactics, Its dependent on RNG and savescum, not on how you approach the battlefield. Impossible to use many real life tactics and other non realistical and fun ones due to the lack of soldiers, no wonder LW always increase number, and more soldiers is one of the most downloaded mods especailly 6 from the start.

Good part: It seems we will be able to have up to 16 soldiers which is good but i fear about the 4 ones, below 6 its simply bad.

A quantity of actions instead of Time units. Why shackling players decisions ? (programation? AI)

If i wan t to arm 2 grenades and make them detonate at the end of turn in the hands of my suicidal soldier why can t i?

If i want to fire trice in a turn at th expanse of accuracy why can t i ?

1 shot 3 rb shot or full auto ? vanished. Less options....

And so ON.

There s also the fact that fireaxis Xcom don t let you take the equipment of fallen comrade and use it, 

unlimited ammo - no need to balance stuff in the mission preparation department: More grenades or more clips, one more rocket or a pistol?

Should i bring extra ammo to unload in the first turn endangering the squad, or should i accept the risk of retreat for lack of ammo?

The sistem adopted by fireaxis is quite contriving and i personnaly, as irrelevant as it can seem, am not near buying a copy of fireaxis XCOM, even on steroid, i already have LW....

I would prefer much more the old Xcom system. TU = freedom. 

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dark_Ansem posted this 2 weeks ago

UnstableVoltage said:

TFTD said:

XMD1997, thank you for the info.

But what worries me though is an information i found after writting this post.

It was on RPshotgun if not mistaken. 

It was saying Gollop was a big fan of fireaxis X-com..... arght!!!

Hope it ain t true. I find them weak  games. 

Julian does like the Firaxis XCOM games. He's played them through to completion, including War of the Chosen. That doesn't mean he's going to emulate them. In fact, there are many aspects of the modern XCOM games that he really dislikes.

Such as?

Thanks for the info. I also played them till the end but nowadays i am unable to play a few battles, the system is slow, the combar morose and shallow. I start to play, get bored with  the sistem, even with something like 50 mods or more installed and on, then i switch to xenonauts,..

UnstableVoltage posted this 2 weeks ago

TFTD said:

Julian does like the Firaxis XCOM games. He's played them through to completion, including War of the Chosen. That doesn't mean he's going to emulate them. In fact, there are many aspects of the modern XCOM games that he really dislikes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Snapshot Games Community Manager

YouTuber

Nerd and Gamer

Snapshot Logo

• Liked by
  • TFTD

xmd1997 posted this 2 weeks ago

A lot of your assumptions seems to be based on the fig pre-alpha video the devs showed last year. The devs have made it pretty clear that the video is not at all a representation of what the final game will be like. 

There will be an inventory system just like the original(To what extent is unknown though) so you'll probably be able to take as many grenades as your heart contents and take items on the battlefield, the combat will not be RNG based like the current Firaxis games are, bullets will be actual projectiles on the map that will hit something, object or creature, regardless of whether you hit or miss your target just like the original, concepts like "low or high cover"won't be in the game.You're a bit right about the lack of TU's though. From what I understand, it's supposed to be a  combination of both the original and nuXcom. Moving once doesn't end your turn and while actions such as firing a weapon seem to still do, you can spend a resource system called willpower to give your soldier an extra action to shoot again.

I feel that all opinions of what the game will be like should be saved until we see the new demo next month which is supposed to be a more accurate representation of what they aim the game to be.

• Liked by
  • SlipperyJim
  • TFTD
Close